Rotary Mixers

tramonte

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd see if anyone here has used a rotary mixer before?

I'm interested in checking some out as I'm always trying to get long transitions out and really smooth mixing opposed to quick transitions/cuts etc.

Was looking at the rane empath rotary as a basic look into the rotary market, but also wasting my budget on something like the Rane Mp 2016 (with XP expander) or the Urei 1620LE (but then bye bye any form of cash left over lol).

So has anyone had experience with rotary mixers and would care to shed some light on how they are to use.

Cheers.

The major differences...

800 has:

- 4 digital inputs (vs. none)

- 61 MIDI points (vs. 49)

- 4 color effects (vs. none)

- 4 fader starts (vs. 2)

- TRS booth outputs (vs. RCA)

- 3 position fader curve switch (vs. 2)

- 4 position master attenuator (vs. 3)

- booth mic cut switch (vs. none)

- optional rotary kit (vs. none available)

- combo jack (XLR / 1/4") + 1/4" (vs. XLR + 1/4" only)

- all rubber knobs (vs. only the EQ and effects parameter knobs rubber coated, all others are plastic)

- removable, grounded mains plug (vs. fixed, ungrounded mains plug)

700 has:

- a single filter which can be applied to the master or effects (you could compare this vs. the color effects)

- 2 new roll effects and crush (vs. reverse delay, pan and chorus)

- silver paint with optional black color for ~ $100-150 more (vs. black only)

http://forums.pioneerdj.com/eve/forums/ ... 093884/p/4

Rotary isn't available for the 700

I used ot have a djm3000 and put in the rotary kit, thinking I could always swap backl if I didn't like it, never took it out again. Rotary is much smoother for mixing, but you cannot make quick cuts like you can with linear faders. i think you either like them or hate them

With some of those you've listed there's more to consider than just the rotary faders. the Urei, whilst sounding great, has no eqs or gains or meters. it's pretty basic. You can also only cue one channel at a time. As for expensive - you could get them in the uk not long ago for 500gbp, take out their tax and our exchange rate now, that's up against mid-pricex mixers.

I think the rane mp/xp 2016 a or S version is the way to go, x-fader, eq's and cue options of a modern mixer with the top notch sound.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright update time,

I have decided i'm going to get the urei 1620le

Had a mix on the original urei 1620 and wow, this mixer is fucking incredible, my monitors have never sounded as good as they did through that mixer.

Just need to wait for some cash to come my way and i'm set lol

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm looking to get a djr400 myself. Big bucks but well worth it I'd say. Designed and handmade by Jerome Barbe and DJ Deep in Paris. Custom made to your needs too. I'm prob a few or so off from getting one due to the cost but can't wait to get my hands on it.

Hey Richie, did you end up purchasing the djr400? What are your thoughts and if I may know how much did it set you back?

I've got the Urei 1620le and very happy with it, although I need to invest in an isolator at some point (at pretty much the same cost as the mixer itself).

• 2 weeks later...
I'm looking to get a djr400 myself. Big bucks but well worth it I'd say. Designed and handmade by Jerome Barbe and DJ Deep in Paris. Custom made to your needs too. I'm prob a few or so off from getting one due to the cost but can't wait to get my hands on it.

Hey Richie, did you end up purchasing the djr400? What are your thoughts and if I may know how much did it set you back?

I've got the Urei 1620le and very happy with it, although I need to invest in an isolator at some point (at pretty much the same cost as the mixer itself).

Hey man. No I'm quite a way off from buying it. Must fill up the piggy bank a few times first. The mixer itself is about $3000 aud last time I checked. The price depends on your requirements though but thats a ball park figure.

I have a few buddies back in Ireland who've got the Urei along with the E&S isolater. All very happy with it. Definitely worth the money. These things are made with care to your own needs by Jerome. I've only heard good/great things about the E&S range.

Yeah I need to also fill up the piggy bank before investing in an isolator. I can't wait though...

To be honest the Urei is good as it is, I think getting an isolator would give me more control but is not needed (I am trying to justify spending the money in my own mind haha).

• 3 weeks later...

Stupid imo lol, dont think you have as much control as the faders also no good for anything quick

Rotary knobs provide greater control for smoother mixing imo.

They definitely aren't for anything quick though. Good for mixing deep house and the like where the transitions are longer.

That being said i still prefer using normal faders as it's what I'm used to and what most clubs use too.

Stupid imo lol, dont think you have as much control as the faders also no good for anything quick

Rotary knobs provide greater control for smoother mixing imo.

They definitely aren't for anything quick though. Good for mixing deep house and the like where the transitions are longer.

That being said i still prefer using normal faders as it's what I'm used to and what most clubs use too.

Pretty much what Rus said, they do provide greater control for smoother mixing. You don't want to try and do anything fast or fancy with it, but saying that I've seen a dude do some cuts and drops as well as other tricky shit with a Urei 1620 (original). Myself, I like to use it softly and take my time blending tracks together.

I prefer to use rotary mixers, but I don't mind using faders. I definitely need to get an isolater for my mixer as I would like further control over the EQs but it's not a biggie, my records sound amazing through the mixer as is.

• 2 weeks later...