Lighting controls (non DMX) for Dj's...

SourceRaver

Ok...so you’ve gone out and bought a whole bunch of non-DMX lighting but don’t know how to control them. Here are a few ideas:

LEAVE EM' ON

At the very beginning of the gig, set up the lights and then turn them on. This is the simplest method and also the best way to bore your audience as they will eventually get tired of the same endless pattern of blinking lights. At the very least, turn them on one at a time over the course of the evening.

SWITCHED POWER BOARD

Go to your local hardware store and buy a switched power board. Put the board near the Dj booth and run the power for the lights via the board. This at least gives you the opportunity to conveniently switch the lights on and off and give you a lot more control over the show. The main problem with this method is the number and length of power cords involved.

REMOTE CONTROL MAINS OPERATED SWITCH

These are a unit that you install between a fixture and the power socket. They send, or cut, power to a fixture after receiving a wireless signal from a hand held remote. You can get single controls or even a power board for four mains powered devices. These are great in that you don’t need any extra cords and the remote can sit in your top pocket if need be. Make sure you buy extra batteries and a second remote if you plan to let someone else control the light show.

RemoteMains.gif

RemotePowerBoard.jpg

DEDICATED REMOTE DEVICES

Some fixtures have optional wired remotes. A good example is a strobe ‘igniter’ that allows you to control the rate and intensity of the strobe. Some other fixtures may have a control that will allow you to vary some of the basic functions of the light such as colour or rate. These devices are usually optional and will cost more to buy.

STROBE_IGNITOR_small.jpg

SOUND TO LIGHT

A lot of effect lights come with a built in microphone and will move or change colour to the sound of a bass beat. These fixtures usually have a sensitivity knob so you can vary the gain of the microphone. Some more complex lights have built in sound to light programs. The ACME dynamo scanner is a great example in that it has a fantastic sound to light show that appears to take forever to repeat.

(Note: Sound to light is usually a lot better in a Dynamo so I suspect the song was editted in after the footage).

MASTER/SLAVE MODE

Some lights can be linked together so that they move or change colour in synchrony. One of the lights becomes the master and all the other fixtures respond to signals that the master sends out. Some fixtures such as the Dynamo also allow for the slaves to act slightly differently to the master. So instead of the slaves doing everything the same as the master, every second fixture does the opposite. The effect is hard to describe but looks AWSOME!

PARTIAL DMX

The Dynamo is actually a DMX controlled fixture, but more than one can be linked via DMX cable and operated in master/slave mode. When sound to light is activated, the master sends out complex DMX signals to the slaves and no DMX controller is required (although they do have an optional hand held remote for varying the gobo shape, strobe and putting them into standby).

dynamo_250Pack_300.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Do you label your switcchboard so you know whick switch is for each light effect?

I have a 8 switch powerboard and could run everything off that with another 4 socket powerboard for the sound but concerned the chaser might send audible sounds to the amp and mixer.

nah i just make sure its set up the same everytime so i no what is where

plus it helps that i know my extension leads are white and connected to far away things like lights n strobe and the standard power leads are black and close by so they just plug in without a extender...so its just implanted in my head really

but for an 8 socket i would have labeled for home use then memorized then set up the same as i am now...because i dont have time to read 8 labels n see what is where...

because say your slowly bringing up the bass because you know the "skit" part of the song is coming up, you will want to know exactly were your strobe is connected from memory so u can quickly hit it when the beat drops :) just and example

As I don't use strobes often i just have an on switch for when the dancing starts and use the rest like a normal power board! All of my lights go off the same circut for my normal setup.

For crazier setups I do things on seperate switches and rotate through the effects, and just memorise it.

Do you label your switcchboard so you know whick switch is for each light effect?

I have a 8 switch powerboard and could run everything off that with another 4 socket powerboard for the sound but concerned the chaser might send audible sounds to the amp and mixer.

I've never had problems running a strobe and chaser off the same powerboard as the sound, but to play it safe you could use seperate boards.

When I do use the one powerboard, I usually plug the amp and the console into the sockets closest to the incoming lead. Not sure if this makes any difference but it's just been standard operations for me.

im running all my speaker n amp n decks n shit off a separate powerboard to my lighting because at 1 point if i turned on to many things at once it would freeze my midi controller and laptop for a split second...very annoying...

Thats a very good point DJaz, could potentially freeze the pc if opening a load of 2000watts ac. will go and check if I can use two separate circuits

Also plugging sound into the closest circuit to mains makes sense also.

haha its true though, 1 minor thing can delay the mail signification....

but as for majorly, i had 2 things coming from Europe when that bastard Icelandic Volcano was spewing shit out for 2 weeks or more at the start of this year, took like 2 months to get my packages

• 3 weeks later...