Save Your Hearing While DJing in 3 Easy Steps

russell

http://www.djtechtools.com/2013/04/08/t ... ile-djing/

Have you ever heard ringing in your ears after a gig? If the answer is yes, then you suffered from temporary hearing loss. Chances are that your ears will recover, but over time this abuse adds up and eventually leads to serious problems – the worst of which could include severe hearing loss and the end of a career. Fortunately there are three simple things you can do to save your ears without changing the way you DJ at all!

First, I must give credit to the inspiration for this article: Johannes Krämer. Johannes is Richie Hawtin‘s personal sound engineer. He’s traveled the world making sure that Richie sounds perfect at every gig – while still keeping his hearing when performing! Along with doing engineering for other DJs and bands, Johannes brings 20 years of experience to the table. The following from a longer conversation about hearing loss – so I will summarize the three main tips Johannes gave me.

It’s also worth pointing out that without sound engineers (many small club and bar gigs are like this), DJs are very unique performers in that they have to wear two different hats: the front of house engineer (making sure the mix is balanced) and the performer.

1) DON’T DRINK AND DJ

“If I see a DJ take two or three shots during a set, I know for sure that he will eventually end up deaf. It’s only a matter of time.” - Johannes

I know this is a bit of a party pooper tip, but the fact is that alcohol impedes your ability to perceive when the sound is too loud. Simply put, while drunk you will do serious damage and not even realize it.

The Science: While the concept of “cocktail deafness” has been around for some time, there’s a fair amount of medical evidence that supports the claim that the more inebriated you are, the more you lose your hearing, meaning that you’ll turn up the track to compensate. One such study (The Acute Effects of Alcohol on Auditory Thresholds) reports:

Our results showed that there was a positive association between increasing breath alcohol concentration and the magnitude of the increase in hearing threshold for most hearing frequencies. [...] Alcohol specifically blunts lower frequencies affecting the mostly 1000 Hz, which is the most crucial frequency for speech discrimination. In conclusion alcohol does appear to affect auditory thresholds with some frequencies being more affected than others.

2) TURN DOWN THE MONITORS BETWEEN MIXES

For DJs, most hearing damage does not occur from loud noise itself, but from the amount of time you are exposed to that noise. By modulating noise levels in the booth, this is going to dramatically reduce a DJ’s noise liability and allow the ears to recover during a set.

Consider using a DB meter (see tip 3) to assist you in figuring out what a safe working environment in the DJ booth should be in terms of noise.

The Science: Keeping the total amount of time you’ve got the monitors blasting at you will keep you below the maximum safe repeated exposure time for loud noises – see this page on the CDC to get a better idea of how short these max times can be at high volumes!

3) USE AN EXTERNAL DB METER

Once exposed to noise for a little while, the brain has a very hard time judging what is loud. This gets worse over time with more exposure as the set goes on. Therefore, without a tool for objective metering it’s nearly impossible to keep a check on your volume.

I recommend that Rich run his monitors at the following levels while mixing:

100DB in a open air concert

103 Db in a club with a low ceiling

106 Db if there are really bad reflections

Then, once done EQing or mixing, I recommend turning the monitors down to 90db for regular listening. - Johannes

If you’re looking for a great and simple DJ meter, the one pictured at right is relatively cheap (around $23 on Amazon) and does the trick. This is a bit of an advanced tool to have in your DJ booth – but it could save your ears just that much more.

A lot of DJs will prefer to use their phone to check DB meters and there are some solid apps out there that do just that. Be warned -microphones on mobile devices can sometimes perform poorly when it comes to detecting low end noises and distinguishing levels greater ~100db, so they’re not precision tools. For iOS users, we can recommend the $0.99 SPL Meter by Studio 6 as a good simple mobile meter.

There you go, three tips on how to stay more healthy as a DJ. Do you have any during-gig hearing protection tips?

W0t i do.

> Wear earplugs when not deejaying.

> Turn monitors off

> Mix completely in headphones (Have also noticed cleaner mixing this way, you can't do this with all headphones though some are too colorful/innacurate.

> Take MDMA instead of drinking when djing (Also tighter mixing compared to drunk).

Alcohol is the only thing that makes life bearable.. So drink! Always drink!

For those that do use earplugs however - how do they get used, are you taking them out between transitions, then putting them back in or do you just blast your headphones louder so you can hear them over the ear buds?

Also, what earbuds are you guys using for this? Some recommendations and a little of your own personal experience would be handy!

I was under the impression most people take them out for the actual sets.

Its just when youre in the club beforehand, it really helps me so the ears dont wear as quick during the set

Hence the question. Mitch, what do you do bud, you mention that you use while DJ'ing as well - is this while on the decks or just before/after. How do you find talking to someone while wearing these? Haha, I know I'd look like a total tool in my local club with these but if they save my ears then I'm all for it! (not to mention the trash that gets red lined here lol)

Yeah i had those same etymotic's until i lost them :(

Although i usually recommend DJ Warehouse, Store Dj has the same plugs for $20.

Takes a few weeks for some reason to get them though.

Talking to people is fine, probably easier with the plugs actually, it mainly reduces the peircing high end.

I can't dj with the etymotic because they stick out and feel really uncomfortable with my headphones pushing them in more.

I dj with the earplugs mitch posted. We play at least 2 or more sets a week, generally like 2-3 hour sets too. I never used to wear earplugs and would come home and my ears would be ringing for the following day. Since wearing the plugs though I have noticed a massive difference, i never get home with sore ears anymore.

I just keep them in for the whole set, including while mixing. You get used to it pretty quick, and for me it actually helps a little bit with the mixing, a bit more sound control actually.

I dj with the earplugs mitch posted. We play at least 2 or more sets a week, generally like 2-3 hour sets too. I never used to wear earplugs and would come home and my ears would be ringing for the following day. Since wearing the plugs though I have noticed a massive difference, i never get home with sore ears anymore.

I just keep them in for the whole set, including while mixing. You get used to it pretty quick, and for me it actually helps a little bit with the mixing, a bit more sound control actually.

You dont find the headphones push them in too much?

What headphones do you have?

They sit really deep so they don't push against your cans

They sit really deep in your ear so they don't push against your cans