Buying a Mic, need some insight

yizzle

So im going to invest in a mic for the new turn my production has taken.

I have NO idea about mics when it comes to anything. Brands, how much money is req for a decent mic, pros & cons of everything between etc.

my plan is to ultimately to plug it into my M-Audio Fast Track Ultra and then record directly into FL Studios 10. (or similar DAW's I have)

i dont know where USB mic's stand with having a good soundcard either so. ye..

budget is currently $150 (with no knowledge of what is decent or way under budget)

any help would be great, looking to buy the best and cheapest i can in the next 2 weeks.

as always, thanks in advance.

Sorry, can't help with specifics. But one of the very few I got out of my failed music production degree was that there are different mics for different purposes. They have different sensitivities and they have differing ideal distances from what they are recording.

Some work better than other for vocals. Some are better at picking up instrument sounds.

Definitely worth going into a proper shop and discussing your needs.

From memory Sennheiser made a fairly good all purpose microphone.

ok some work better for production, some don't. i imagined that tbh.

i already talked to some dudes at shops (maybe all shops etc in Hobart)

The prob in Hobart is all i feel the ppl that know Production and shit are about 15 years behind the times.

You mention 'home studio EDM production' & anything 'digital' related or they all just shrug and say have you asked the WHALE that works at RedPlanet Studios what he thinks?

yeah ill just txt him... no probs... its not like is is busy or anything... :/

i would really like some love here. srs.

:okay:

if it's just vox you are after, the environment is just as important (if not more) as the microphone, so it might be worth investigating that avenue also.

I'd suggest spending a little bit more than $150, see if you can get a Shure KSM27 for cheap as possible.

If you absolutely MUST stay in that price range, a behringer C1 would do the job, or even an m-audio Nova.

One thing you will 100% want to either invest in or make yourself is a pop filter, they go from like $15 to $100, but you can make a cheap dodgy (but effective) one with some stockings and an old wire coathanger

ok.

so i only want it for vocals.

the room i have my set up us all my gear so its pretty barron,

in room is x2 desks with 2 KRK 8's and some shit like laptop/sc/midi controllers etc.

like its prob 7m by 12m. empty otherwise. prob generates some echo. so is a pop filter essential for that?

i was hoping to stick within $150. but what is realistic? considering i am not #bigtime but dont want rubbish for the next 2 years either.

room is like its prob 7m by 12m. empty otherwise. prob generates some echo. so is a pop filter essential for that?

i was under the impression pop filters cancelled out harsh 'p' and 's' sounds.

not sure if indirect into mic makes a huge diff?

or a small enough diff that can be fixed in DAW?

room is like its prob 7m by 12m. empty otherwise. prob generates some echo. so is a pop filter essential for that?

i was under the impression pop filters cancelled out harsh 'p' and 's' sounds.

not sure if indirect into mic makes a huge diff?

or a small enough diff that can be fixed in DAW?

pop filter will make your recordings about a million times easier, trying to avoid the 'pops' by going the indirect route completely fucks performances, if you are on a budget just make a ghetto pop filter out of some thin fabric (stockings work perfect) and a wire coathanger:

NgxGnm4.png

you want a 'dry' room, so you will want to cover as many hard surfaces as humanly possible to prevent reverb.

Grab the Behringer C1 if you can find one, and with any spare money start playing with room acoustics. Also might be worth noting that if you will be getting a condenser mic that you will need phantom power switched ON on the audio interface