Worst Mobile Gig List

djpete

ok I'll start with one. I have worse ones than this...

I have a fairly extensive setup and takes me around a good hr to setup.

Alway get to gigs a little early.

Wedding in Williamstown.

Get to gig upstairs so have to cart all the gear up etc.

Bloody hot day too.

45 mins later almost all set to go, speak to owner and mention Grooms name. He says what? That's not his name.

Blood runs from my face.

A quick check and I realise I am at a similar named function room and although its a wedding it ain't my one!!

Realise my mistake in a flash, pull down in 20mins rush off to right venue, by this time sweating like a pig.

Murphys Law of course this gig is upstairs to but at least they have a lift.

Long story short. Was MCing this one too and you dont want to get a Wedding wrong, they don't forgive you!!!

I was a wreck for an hr afterwards.

The B and Groom didn't know any different and it was a happy ending.

Lesson learnt.

ALWAYS double check names on table etc to make sure you are at the right gig!

And ALWAYS leave room for error with setup time.

Another...

When I first started out djing...

Was doing a nice tame gig for a dance company.

Hadn't even started, everything was great, just playing background music.

This bloke about 50 or 60 yrs old comes up to me...I thought he was going to make a request.

But instead he stuck his face right up to mine and shouted..."you are the worst fucking dj I have ever seen in my life!"

and walked off.

I was gobsmacked, so angry I was shaking.

Took me an hr to gain my composure again and get back into it.

Later I mentioned it to the organiser and she said oh such and such don't worry about him, he's always like that, just a dickhead.

Still haunts me to this day.

Lesson learnt.

ALWAYS expect the unexpected and have a tough hide. lol

PS I can't believe no one else has horror stories..come on...:-)

i'll chuck in one more. leave the best to last.

An 18th I think it was at some shitty footy club. You know you get that worried feeling before you even start?

Anyway all went pretty well but a lot of drunks.

Made it through the night and just wanted to get the hell out of there.

Whilst packing up one young drunk asks for a lift just up the road when I leave, I tell him no room and Im still packing up, no worries he says he'll wait. I said ok if it's just you I will drop you off.

Almost ready to go, come round corner again with last bit of gear 4 of them are in the car, 3 in back one in front.

Had my wallet in the console and they were snooping around opening things etc etc, all drunk as.

I wasn't happy.

Said all out.

Na they weren't going anywhere.

This went on for at least 30mins with them making fun of me getting upset. Tried everything from telling them I have my wife waiting for me at home etc. Still nothing, so I rang the cops whilst they were there. Hung up a min into the call and told them the cops were on the way.

Still nothing another 15mins later and I am really getting worried now and think I am going to have to either flee or fight.

So I decide I am just going to go mental.

Go bezerk swearing and ranting and grab one of my poles that slides into the top of the speaker for lights.

Threatening to hit them all if they dont get out of my car.

Before I know it one has jumped me from behind and I thought I was gone.

Thank god one of the parents was coming out and told them to stop and leave me alone.

They were all out and still swearing I hopped in the car, as i drove off I thought for sure they were going to scratch all the panel or kick them in.

Got out to first servo and checked all panels for damage as they were banging on the panels etc.

No damage.

The cops must have somehow tracked my number and called me back, told them what had happened but I was ok.

Got home still shaking, said to wife lucky to be alive.

Lesson learnt.

Stay away from drunks, don't even talk to them.

No eye contact nothing!

All my gigs are not like this and haven't had any incidents fr many yrs but you really do need to be street wise out there.

It can be a jungle. And in the end its just you and your equipment and possible a fucking drunken angry mob.

I know a lot of dj's who just dont do 18ths or 21sts because not worth the hassle.

football clubs are always full of drunken yobo's wanting to fight and be dicks.

don't seem to matter if your the dj, a guest of a friend or you just end up at one. its a wanker fest at best. anytime. anywhere.

sucks you had to go through so much rubbish to get home though mate. but yeah. football clubs.

never had a good day in one.

If it's an 18th most of them will probs be fairly new to drinking as well

should have a good 5-6 years experience by then. soft whales

:fuckdat:

I was probably a bigger drinker at 18 than I am now

Yeah i peaked between the age of 15 and 18. My drinking was ridiculous when I was 17.

Good times. ;)

Not much of a horror story, but my first propper outing was my best mates wedding, i got hideously drunk by 3pm an was djing from 5 onwards. First hour was good, played heaps of funk and had the old chickens dancing, then i started dropping hip hop. ODB does not go down well with the parents!

A few hours later im even more pissed, when a loud anoying bitch starts trying to help me dj and knocks a beer over right next to my decks, unfortunately i hadlost my ability to not be a racist asshole, i dropped the volume on my mixer and said "piss off you coffee coloured maggot!" A statement i am ashamed of till this day. The whole wedding pissed themselves!

The next morning i was speaking to the groome and our mates and was informed she later puked on one of the guests and was rolling around in her g string untill nearly everyone had left. So didnt feel to bad about my outburst Lol

I remember losing a shoe and getting into a mates car. Then nothing till the next day when, when i went to retrieve my gear.

Was a top night really!

26895_413380650959_5641783_n.jpg

I had a mobile DJ gig where someone came to request a song and accidentally kicked one of the speaker stand legs whilst walking back to the dance floor and the whole speaker fell down. Cable broke but the speaker was okay - it was really lucky it didn't hit anyone! I still cringe about it to this day! #-o

• 1 year later...

The first real gig I did, I had my housemates with me, cause it was a friend of theirs/ours

Now they'd watched me DJ and I taught them the basics, that way I could leave the desk if I needed/wanted to. It was a pretty casual gig.

But at one point in the night when I returned from the back shed followed by a big cloud of smoke, my mate was standing behind the decks, looking at me, horrified, holding a snap traktor timecode vinyl.

At this point, I didn't care. Mixed internally all night and still got paid.

I've also had power shut off cause drunk people like to trip

And I've been electrocuted by cheap knock off Chinese lights

• 10 months later...

OK I'm new to this forum but have actually been a DJ for 16 years so have some good ones.  Probably the worst is one someone decided to pull the plug out at a carpark party I was playing. Massive stage over 1000 people and someone just simply pulled the three phase out. Couldn't have taken more than 3 minutes to sort out but everyone was booing and carrying on.  Also the time I played the a pretty large stage at a festival but the act before me couldn't actually DJ.  Was a moderately popular producer but literally had no DJ experience and just bombed. By the time I started there were a hand full of people watching a large stage as everyone had moved on to other areas. I couldn't bring em back and just wanted to die being up there like a goose with no one watching.