Help understanding traktor scratch (serato user)

wrxfiend

Was in conversation with Ysm in chat, he suggested looking at traktor as my dvs, seeing as im running NI Maschine hardware.

What i dont get is the interface? with serato, the box converts timecode to movements of your track, i dont see how Traktor gets this info into the computer? this package says i need an NI interface.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/traktor/digital-vinyl/traktor-scratch-a10/software-timecode-kit/

I have a decent M- audio delta pci card. will this do?

seems to me i'm missing something pretty basic here.

Enlighten me lads

What you need is the traktor branded timecode vinyl. The entire thing is just a 2KHz buzz, which when the traktor software hears (assuming you've set up your audio inputs/outputs correctly) it recognises it as being a timecode input through technological wizardry. Ideally you're going to want an interface that connects via usb that has at least 2 rca inputs and 2 rca outputs, which would be having the tunes from traktor running into your mixer

Thankyou!

So my pci card with rca in and out would be ok on my desktop, but need a usb i/face for the laptop.....i think lol

Thats cool, coz my maschine runs on the desktop anyways, so just need timecode vinyl and software then i can at least have a play and see if its right for me.

Always up for new things!

hey wrxy

a couple of things

you need an NI sound card to use traktor scratch. whether stand alone, built into mixer or built into controller

also, you need a different key to enable tsp. i.e can't just use traktor

Ok i understand, i've been wanting an i/face for the laptop anyway, maschine has some lag (not too bad with asio drivers) when i go mobile.

Ha ysm and i were saying that i couldnt really want anymore equip, my lab is awesome now, thanks yizzle! Look what you've started now Lol!

The one thing i dont like from the screenshots is the latout of the wav forms, do they have the serato looking layout as a preference, ie 2 vertical wav forms running together?

Ok, i'll investigate and report back, i find its the only way i can view the tracks on screen and not get muddled with my hands, i remember when i first used serato, it was such an adjustment from reg vinyl. But shit it was cool the first time i saw the kick and snare patern that i'd had jn my head all those years up on screen, in different colours and shit yo! Lol

Now i struggle hard to use olskool wax, little bit ashamed of that ha.

But i paid my dues! In my day.....blah blah old man rant etc....

hey wrxy

a couple of things

you need an NI sound card to use traktor scratch. whether stand alone, built into mixer or built into controller

also, you need a different key to enable tsp. i.e can't just use traktor

Seems like you do need a first party interface - although there's no reason for it because with a cracked copy 3rd party interfaces work fine with timecode enabled.

Ok, i'll investigate and report back, i find its the only way i can view the tracks on screen and not get muddled with my hands, i remember when i first used serato, it was such an adjustment from reg vinyl. But shit it was cool the first time i saw the kick and snare patern that i'd had jn my head all those years up on screen, in different colours and shit yo! Lol

i don't really use the wave forms. maybe if I am struggling to pitch a track or find the right phrase to put it in, I have a look for an empty part so I can just straight drop in the incoming track and either echo out or straight cut out the outgoing track.

so I don't really know what im looking at on the waveforms outside of how much "sound" is happening. I know version 2 has all different colors meaning things, but you would have to look up what it all means

if you good with serato. why again are you moving?

because unless you intend on using all the jazz that comes with traktor (effects, that new sample thingy) I don't see why you would bother