@Duz Technics mod help

wrxfiend

Hi mate, went to Oxy's house the other day, his tt's look dope!

I dont want to paint the platters on mine, but i'm keen on converting the leds to blue.

:allthethings:

I am pretty handy with a soldering iron and know basic electrics, I was wondering if you could recommend a place to source my led's

the obvious is Jaycar, but without pulling mine to bits first, do yu know off hand what types i need, and how many of each?

Aslo the strobe has me intrigued, is it a special led? or just pulsing the std type?

Cheers

Wrx

what techs have you got?

are you going to be replacing the halogen light, or is there already LED's in the pop up light?

ESSENTIAL TOOLS:

soldering iron (duh)

flux braid (for sucking up the old solder/cleaning up your work)

small wire cutters to clip the LED legs

screwdriver (Philips head) from memory you need a small one and a big one, but being a wrx junky/car parts person tools I'm guessing won't be an issue

If there is already LED's, you will probably find it's a 5mm in the popup. if there aren't, then be prepared to grab a resistor to drop the voltage down. Also, be VERY FUCKING CAREFUL WITH THAT CIRCUIT because it's NOT fused on the transformed power side, so if you short ANYTHING you can pretty much guarantee that you will explode a transistor. I know this from experience. The bright side is that the PCB incl motor is only about $100 off ebay, so if you fuck up, it's not the end of the world.

as far as sourcing the LED's, I got mine off ebay for like $2 for a pack of 50 or something. Any LED will work, the strobe is just 4 5mm LED's wired up to pulse on/off at different times in tune with the motor electrics (but since it's already LED's in there, you don't have to stress to much about voltage/current changes)

The popup light can house 2 3mm led's, or 1 5mm led (the 2x led's look brighter, but are a major bastard to fit into that little cap, so be prepared to fiddle around a fair bit). I cannot emphasise enough on being VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS CIRCUIT. buy heat shrink tubing if you don't have any, because you really really really really really really don't want a short on that line.

The 45/33 buttons have a little 3mm led under them, those are easy.

It's been a little while since I've had mine gizards out, so I might be forgetting something. Post if you have Q's, I've fixed/replaced most of the parts in a 1200 at some point...

Also, be VERY FUCKING CAREFUL WITH THAT CIRCUIT because it's NOT fused on the transformed power side, so if you short ANYTHING you can pretty much guarantee that you will explode a transistor.

i was explaining to him that we had done something like this to 1 of mine where the circuit bridged somewhere and my TT wouldn't turn off, you had to replace the transistor with a new 1, im still waiting on it to explode on me 1 of these days

Also, be VERY FUCKING CAREFUL WITH THAT CIRCUIT because it's NOT fused on the transformed power side, so if you short ANYTHING you can pretty much guarantee that you will explode a transistor.

i was explaining to him that we had done something like this to 1 of mine where the circuit bridged somewhere and my TT wouldn't turn off, you had to replace the transistor with a new 1, im still waiting on it to explode on me 1 of these days

That was a weird thing, had nothing to do with the popup led circuit. I'm not sure it had anything to do with the mods at all, and I still have nfi how or why that happened. Basically a resistor in the power supply part stopped resisting

what techs have you got?

are you going to be replacing the halogen light, or is there already LED's in the pop up light?

ESSENTIAL TOOLS:

soldering iron (duh)

flux braid (for sucking up the old solder/cleaning up your work)

small wire cutters to clip the LED legs

screwdriver (Philips head) from memory you need a small one and a big one, but being a wrx junky/car parts person tools I'm guessing won't be an issue

If there is already LED's, you will probably find it's a 5mm in the popup. if there aren't, then be prepared to grab a resistor to drop the voltage down. Also, be VERY FUCKING CAREFUL WITH THAT CIRCUIT because it's NOT fused on the transformed power side, so if you short ANYTHING you can pretty much guarantee that you will explode a transistor. I know this from experience. The bright side is that the PCB incl motor is only about $100 off ebay, so if you fuck up, it's not the end of the world.

as far as sourcing the LED's, I got mine off ebay for like $2 for a pack of 50 or something. Any LED will work, the strobe is just 4 5mm LED's wired up to pulse on/off at different times in tune with the motor electrics (but since it's already LED's in there, you don't have to stress to much about voltage/current changes)

The popup light can house 2 3mm led's, or 1 5mm led (the 2x led's look brighter, but are a major bastard to fit into that little cap, so be prepared to fiddle around a fair bit). I cannot emphasise enough on being VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS CIRCUIT. buy heat shrink tubing if you don't have any, because you really really really really really really don't want a short on that line.

The 45/33 buttons have a little 3mm led under them, those are easy.

It's been a little while since I've had mine gizards out, so I might be forgetting something. Post if you have Q's, I've fixed/replaced most of the parts in a 1200 at some point...

Thankyou very much!

:duz::duz::duz::duz::duz::duz::allthethings:

oh yeah, mine are 1200 mkII

i guess they are pretty old, they have the halogen pop ups no quartz lock and they click in the middle of the pitch fader.

Again thanks heaps for the info.

I am going to atempt this operation over the weekend. I will make a build thread and document my experiance for others.

:duz: knows technics :likeasir: