Your favourite place to buy vinyl.

SolDios

sol. there is this technology called DVS. it allows you to play and manipulate mp3s using vinyl

:teef:

but for reals though. i know you mentioned you wanted to pop your vinyl cherry w something special. but you have to rememeber that these mp3s would not have been mastered for vinyl. i know in a previous fred, it was debated whether that was a significant factor or not. but imo the fact that you have serato, its a little silly to purposely press it UNLESS you intend on doing all vinyl sets at some point

on the other hand there is a place that does short run presses. i posted it before sill try to dig it

in regards to your question, i mainly buy old shit at record fairs or shops i come across. some of the best finds

eggs records glebe record fair (can you believe some whale already opened an eggs records!!)

manhattan records in osaka and shibuya

the searchers in fitzroy

Yeah I was gonna say what eggs said. It's a completely different mastering process between the 2 formats. Vinyl is an analog signal with mono low elements and hardly any stereo imaging (causes the needle to go nuts) and mp3 is just an all out slog of loudness (spinnin' records is a great example lol)

As far as online stores go discogs is amazing, I would spend the majority of my paycheck on there every week. It's especially good if you get to know the sellers who have the stuff you want because they'll usually hook you up with a better price.

Redeye is also good (the UK one not the Australian one) otherwise juno or sometimes even eBay.

If you're ever in Melbourne though you should definitely check out Alley Tunes- amazing people, selection and prices.

if I were to get it pressed i'd buy the wav's. But I get what you mean about mastered for vinyl

Nah buddy. Regardless of the format you purchase it in you won't be able to press it. They guys in the studios won't risk damaging their equipment. You'll be able to find most things on vinyl anyway

if I were to get it pressed i'd buy the wav's. But I get what you mean about mastered for vinyl

Nah buddy. Regardless of the format you purchase it in you won't be able to press it. They guys in the studios won't risk damaging their equipment. You'll be able to find most things on vinyl anyway

that place I found would press it. it just might sound like shit, or not to the same level of a track explicitly mastered for vinyl

• 2 months later...

Discogs for me, its a faster process than going to the record store. Can listen to your tracks online and jump straight

onto discogs to find em n buy without leaving the house. Only problem is shipping cost to aus is usually high. I've

bought 45 records off discogs with an average cost per plate of $17.80, shipping included, and each plate brand new and

mint. I have no idea how that compares to buying in-store but it seems more convenient to me..

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t have much experience with vinyl, but on the weekend just passed I went hunting around Sydney (I live in Melbourne, just up for work atm) for about $300 worth to get a mate started. I went to about 5 places, but the one that stood out was ‘record store’ in Darlinghurst. Staff were awesome, recommended heaps of stuff, and free beers whilst I was listening. I literally spent 4 hours at the shop.

yeh record store cool not cheap though. i wait for the sales :fuckdat:

hehe nah i usually check out their second hands when im in the hood. coffeeshop next door is good. and the big gelato place around the corner on crown is also a nice refresh spot.

i usually hit there on recordstore day too, as did chev bak in the day

• 4 months later...

re: 'Pressing' a one of record from a digital file

Even if your source file is a wav file it is still not mastered for vinyl production. And also, you will not be pressing a one-pff copy, unless you have a couple thousand spare dollars flying around. Here is a little video explaining the entire process from mastering to stamper all the way to the pressed record.

One off records are basically just the first step of the record production described in the video. Your tune gets cut into a acetate disc with a lathe cutter … the life span of an acetate disc is much shorter as the material is softer and wears out quicker. This technique is mostly used by the reggae soundsystem culture when soundsystems and DJs are getting exclusive vocal cuts that bigging up their soundsystem (or the DJ) cut into acetate. Though these days most 'dubplates' are not cut into acetate anynore and are instead just played from digital sources.

My 2 ct to the 'Where to buy vinyl' discussion:

Discogs is the place to go online, and then there are of course hundreds of genre specific online shops -- for me it's Ernie B's Reggae and Soundquake, but it all really depends on what you are after.

But nothing beats going to a record shop and digging through the crates and talking to the people in the shop -- support your local record stores and benefit from their amazing knowledge!

For Melbourne and Sydney there are some amazing guides out there listing all vinyl retailers in town:

Diggin Melbourne

Diggin Sydney

You can pick up a printed copy in most record shops in Sydney and Melbourne.

My favorite record shops in Melbourne would be (in no particular order):

Northside Records, Fitzroy

Round & Round, Brunswick

Licorice Pie, Prahran

The Searchers, Fitzroy

The good people at discogs have recently launched a new project attempting to create a database of every record shop on the face of this globe, it's great resource too, especially when you go traveling. have a look at vinylhub.

Can you tell that I'm quite passionate about vinyl?! :dj: