Hardware depreciation rate and shopping suggestions?

Brenchen

Hi guys, I'm new to the DJ world so just wanted to get an idea on the titled?

Firstly, does hardware (let say mixers/controllers etc.) depreciate rapidly (ie. inverse exponentially) after the initial purchase like motor vehicles or bicycles do, even if the items are still in "like-new" conditions with minimal usage? Or does the price go down linearly with respect to its usage and cosmetics?

And secondly, when I do my shopping, the five places I usually look for (excl. forums) are ebay (most expensive), StoreDJ, DJ City, JB Hifi and gumtree, but their price (for brand new at least) are highly similar. Are there any other distributors or online shops you guys use that can get a better price? I've seen somewhere that someone recommended Amazon from US and use a 3rd party shipping service, however, with the current exchange rate, it seems the few dollar savings are not really worth the hassle.

Hope I don't annoy anyone by asking these types of questions, and thank you in advance.

I personally thing hardware (and software) depreciates very quickly from the moment you purchase. I don't think second hand gear is worth a lot.

Secondly, you can buy whenever you like. If you wait for sales they won't really come until you've bought all your stuff lol it's usually how it's works. Store DJ are good because they usually knock down retail price automatically (in the perth store they do). Otherwise online retailers or straight from the manufacturer are good. Try mingle with people in store and become friends. It's always good to have mates working in stores for discounts. I don't think I've paid full price for anything I own lol I'm not saying you should take advantage of the situation but it helps to save a few bucks :)

It's just that I saw some items on gumtree (namely the ones I'm after - X1 and Z1), they seemed to only depreciate very little, around the range of 20-40 bux from brand new, but they say the condition is "very good" and only had it for a few months or few weeks with minimal use... That's why I was wondering whether in this hobby(?), the condition of the items justifies the very little depreciation? Is that the way it goes?

Like for a brand new car, the moment you drive it out of the factory/dealer, exaggeratedly speaking, the value of the vehicle is already halved!

Mate, for that money you may as well get it brand new.

I feel that gear depreciates very much like new cars, and can have the same issues that a second hand car can give you. I'd buy it brand new unless you're saving around 100-200 bucks on it second hand, in good condition

Products instantly depreciate, the only exception i have found is Technics 1200/1210's

There is prob alot of stuff on gumtree because wally's see the latest pitbull etc type clip and think "im gonna be a deejay!"

when they realise its achally quite hard the stuff appears in gumtree lol

Buy new, I use StoreDJ, once you have bought a few items, they will reward you for loyalty.

hope that helps.

There may be plenty of 2nd hand gear available for sale at near new price. Rarely sells at that price though.

Yea I asked whether they were willing to go lower, and they only put it down another 5 bux... Not worth it you say?

i honestly wouldnt pay more than half for anything thats not fresh from a store. I may consider 60-70%!but its got to be so pristine i could eat my lunch off it. and be in box with all plastics and shit.

outside of that i personally wouldnt consider it.

i just sold an mpd, still in box with all the stuff in it, used three or five times tops for less than 30% what i bought it for

Most of the big name/industry standard gear depreciates really well. Mainly because of their build quality and reputation.

I'm always a fan of buying second hand where I can - especially if the equipment is in good nick. $40 that can be better spent towards choons to play on your new equipment, etc.

How old is it? Does it come with a receipt and still has voluntary warranty with the manufacturer? If these are answered well then I'd say go for it.

Blag him down.

There's no incentive for you to buy as a package (same price if he separated). I've just found under that item you can get one of them for $220 - http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brunswic ... 1044445841

Just ring him and say You wanna buy both if he'll take $430 and that you've found both items individually for $210/ea but would rather pick up the whole kit in one hit, ask if he has receipt still so you can get warranty if needed (if he doesn't i'd say no straight away)

If you're in the same area too I'd try use cash and pickup that day/next day as a bit of leverage ;)

Happy hunting!

lol, I got the impression that he's not going to go lower than 460, so if anything, it'll have to be the other 2:

From DJ City you can pick up a brand new one for 249 bux, you reckon the reported 220 for the controllers are worth it or should I take it down lower, say 200?

lol, I got the impression that he's not going to go lower than 460, so if anything, it'll have to be the other 2:

From DJ City you can pick up a brand new one for 249 bux, you reckon the reported 220 for the controllers are worth it or should I take it down lower, say 200?

$220 when you pay $30 more you get for new? Nah I'd be aiming for a bit more off that - but thats the inner jew in me.

You never know unless you try to blag em down man, so long as YOU believe the price you're asking for is fair, it'll show in the way you speak. Be calm, be authoritative. $249 new when he wants $235/each - i'd be using keywords like "realistic" in your conversation, the advantages of you paying the extra for new are more warranty etc. Then go on to say that you're not a fan of consumerism and want to help the guy out by taking it off his hands. ;)

I'd be phoning the $220 individual guys and explaining to them as well, try get em for like $190ea.

Don't forget the cash/pickup leverage too! People love hearing that.

haha, man you're good at it! It'll be hard because I have to get my mate to go pick it up for me, we are not in the same area... So I won't even meet the guy face to face. Basically I am just asking if he's willing to get the price down a bit, he said it costs 300 bux retailed which can be misleading because he might have picked them up for a whole lot cheaper! Anyway, awaiting replies.

Cost him $300 retailed, but now you can pick up new ones for $249. Throw something out like "You can sit around to try and get more for it or you can get some cash in your wallet NOW. Anyone who does a quick google (just like I did for a comparison between your item and what I could get it for new) will see that you're asking for an unrealistic price"

Just gotta be firm. The fact he's emailing you back indicates hes interested. If it were me though, I'd be phoning and doing it that way as you can guage tone, he doesn't have time to stew/think about it and has to react instantly.

Cost him $300 retailed, but now you can pick up new ones for $249. Throw something out like "You can sit around to try and get more for it or you can get some cash in your wallet NOW. Anyone who does a quick google (just like I did for a comparison between your item and what I could get it for new) will see that you're asking for an unrealistic price"

Just gotta be firm. The fact he's emailing you back indicates hes interested. If it were me though, I'd be phoning and doing it that way as you can guage tone, he doesn't have time to stew/think about it and has to react instantly.

Tried some negotiating, he was going to settle with 180. The item was barely used (according to him) and got it late last year, so I assume we only have half the year of warranty left. So we are looking at a 70 bux reduction from brand new. What would you say?

I'd probably still take it at that price. But you definitely want to push for the receipt. As for warranty, check the manufacturers site for their conditions. Normally they wouldn't as you have no Proof of Purchase, but some times they can go off serials/manufactured date so you might be able to :|

I'd probably still take it at that price. But you definitely want to push for the receipt. As for warranty, check the manufacturers site for their conditions. Normally they wouldn't as you have no Proof of Purchase, but some times they can go off serials/manufactured date so you might be able to :|

Yea I'm taking it. Apparently he got it from ebay, so he has the ebay receipt... :S I hope it was genuine so I can take it back to NI if anything happens in the remaining 6 months. All I now need is the other part, the Z1 :D

Yea I'm taking it. Apparently he got it from ebay, so he has the ebay receipt... :S I hope it was genuine so I can take it back to NI if anything happens in the remaining 6 months. All I now need is the other part, the Z1 :D

Probably wouldn't get a local warranty anyway (unless bought from local genuine eBayer - not grey importer).