Another re-introduction....

Kodiak

Formally known as DrC1....

lzRi7sj.png

A change of name, something I have been thinking about for some time and was going to post up a thread looking for some advice when the other day this name came to me. Firstly why the change? Well DrC1 is a shit name, it doesn't make any sense, it's hard to say (Doctor C1 or D-R-C-1) and really it was just a name to use when I first created my Soundcloud account. DrC1 came about because the only real name I could have used was the nickname my old QLD inline hockey team gave me, "The Bear." I got this name as I was a very big (6" & 100kg) guy that was even bigger once goalie pads and skates were on. The name fit and I am still called this by those guys nearly 20 years later and i used it for most other online personas. But due to being forced to watch "Sex in the City" by my now ex-wife (reason enough to divorce her in itself) I am aware that within the GLBT community, which is common in clubbing scenes, is that a "Bear" is a large gay, usually hairy man. Not really something I wanted to set myself up for as an identity as a DJ/Producer. So I used my initials because I couldn't think of anything else at the time.

Here is where "Kodiak" ties in..... Kodiak is the largest of the brown bear species. It's easy to say and recognise and whilst not a unique word per say, it is not commonly used other than to describe the animal and the islands of Alaska where the bear is found. There is a DJ Kodiak Kid on Soundcloud but I figured I would still go with it.

Up until recently a name change hadn't really bothered me. I don't play out and have no real intentions of doing so. But the local club recently ran some DJ comps and I thought if I did ever want to have a go I would need a better name. Plus come tax refund time I will be setting myself up to start doing some producing.

Plus it got to me a little at the Gold Coast meet when everyone called each other Cupe, Dflux, Beatless, Oxykon (or Defkon depending how long you been around) etc and I was plain old Darryl.... :okay: