ideal accessory for loops/sound fx etc

shamrock

hey

just curious what you think about various accessories whilst mixing. i'm predominantly mixing hiphop, so i just need a handful of features like echo, loops etc. nothing fancy. i've looked at few options ranging from traktor f1/x1, midi fighter etc etc. it all seems a bit too complex. new mixers have cue/fx/loop functions (ie rane 62) etc, which i currently do not have.

any suggestions for a good reliable piece of equipment to work with serato dj/SSL +/- traktor ( the traktor part is not necessary though).

do you think it'll be sufficient just sticking with serato remote?

thanks

sk

Traktor is probably the tits for effects on a dvs. The serato looping is pretty good and there should be effects built in too? There's a tonne of external effect units on the market, that pioneer is just one of them. I've used a kaoss pad over the years but they're a bit complicated to use. I would suggest to look into the pioneer one or head on down to your local music store and see if they have any you can play around with.

I use traktor at home and use the built in effects, at the club I use the effects in the mixer

hey

thanks for your replies. i guess i don't need that many. perhaps about 3-4 FX max. won't be doing much filtering during hip hop, but i suppose it could be somewhat useful for taking up EDM in the future.

better have a play around with what's out there. thanks

i dont think there is a "hip hop" or "edm" way of mixing and dont think there should be. the fx's can be used with any genre! just up to you how you want to mix

refer ztrip who plays over the shop and the different fx techniques he uses

or refer the early mixes from atrak when he was coming out of hip hop and turntablism and incorporating electro into his mixes, but mainly his use of loops and effects

i think what you need to determine is what do you want to do. and then get the right tool that does that. and right just means best at your price range at this mo. cuz there are many ways to skin a cat. a lot of effects came from some manual sound that someone wanted to make easier. you can echo just by using the line fader and manipulating the record. you can loop playing doubles. you can get all feedbacky reverb sounds fucking with the mixer cables.

edit: wait i think i said it the wrong way around. of course mixing different genres is diff which is why i can mix hip hop for shit. but disco, house, breaks i go aiight. but just saying IMO there are no restrictions

• 5 weeks later...