Motivation

Boss101

Hey guys,

I have been messing around with mashup's, bootlegs and just Ableton in general for a while now.

I'm just a beginner so all the stuff I make sounds shit and I think I just get bored of it.

I found it fun when I start messing around with Ableton but I think since I'm not very good I'm not motivated enough to learn all I need to. Is there any way that guys make it more 'fun' for yourself while learning at the same time?

Dancing while I work on tunes usually helps makes it more fun :P

I guess a more "serious" motivation for me personally is listening to other people's work and thinking to myself "I want to be as good as that person someday. I suck now but if I keep going at it, I know I'll be as good or even better than him/her."

now my experience in production is getting to 10 or 12 tutorials of a 30+ tutorial book on using an MPC so i kind of know what you mean.

but i think one good thing i read somewhere before that either tomy or jonnyb posted up, dont go in thinking your gonna create a smash hit on the first go.

start small and take baby steps, maybe first time just learn how to create a beat or bassline. once thats done be happy for that session, and maybe spend next hour just farking around.

then the next time back start with learning something new again. once you get that down pat. spend an hour messing about using the two things you know.

and so on.

Watch short tutorials (5-20 mins) that focus on 1 element (eg a kick, snare, lead, fx) at a time. Pause it every minute or two and follow along. Get that element down, start watching another one to work on the next element. Build as you go to keep you interested. Massive tutorials making a whole track can be overwhelming

try experimenting with other genres, watch heaps of tutorials on the tube and/or start making your own sounds. When i'm lacking ideas i'll open one of my synths and start messing around with it. you'll eventually make something cool and it'll spark up an idea. plus, it's a handy way to get to know your tools

GO beyond tutorial and just mess about with samples by loading effect units onto them to see what happens. If something good, excellent, if something rubbish just delete it and try something else.

Experimenting with sounds keeps it interesting as you never really know what you'll end up with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...