*Warning*Newb*alert*

oznewbie

Hey guys,

Yes - I'm a complete newb to the Dj world. No denying that. :thumbdown: I've a long way to go. Any advice, no matter how small or insignificant it may seem will be appriciated. :thumright:

I had some cheap as decks in my teens, circa the year 2000. I gave up as the equipment was sh*t, I preferred to listen to good mixes instead of repeatedly listening to my own "train crash sh*t" ..... and ..... i didn't have the patience.

skip forward 15 years, and at 29 (30 in less than a fortnight :S) and I've decided to give it a go again.

I've set myself up with some basic, but capable (in my eyes) equipment

Built myself a functioning ikea desk.

And putting in some practice ....

Equipment -

A pair of CDJ 400's

DJM 400

Pair of HDJ 1000's

Denon Mc2000

Serato (upgraded to the full version)

I had a set of b2031a's organised to pick up couple of days ago, but they sold them before I got there :(

So I bought the denon/serato instead - lol. Probably a bad decision, but I wanted it to bring out by the pool on weekends to practice more.

Just using a Sony HiFi at the minute. I've dropped a lot of cash on all this in about a week, so the monitors might need to go on the back burner for a bit

I'm still learning to beatmatch, and doing so-so successfully ..... Well, I am cheating and looking a grids etc in serato, but not using the sync button.

I am starting to get the hang of what to listen for. Soon I'm hoping to not have to use them at all.

anyway, here's some pics. Let me know what you think.

Going to get some artwork, lights etc next.

6wlZGq.jpg

1UZesj.jpg

Welcome to the forum mate :safe:

I see you've already found the pics of your setup thread. Have a browse through the beginner section, as there are plenty of videos to help you master the basics :)

Also if you can't find something, or want some personalised help for anything, feel free to make a thread in the relevant section

welcome mate. we all start from somewhere!

some never quite get there but still enjoy it (looking at myself in mirror) while other homies become #biggtime. refer to whole forum to see how far a lot of the OGs have gone.

either way hope you hang around for the help and the laffs!!!

and ask questions! and post mixes for critique. place helped me heaps in the beginnng :safe:

and while we are meant to keep this an intro fred...

in regards to hi fi. unless you going out to play for the masses the hi fi is fine to fine tune your technique.

i used a technics hifi for many years, and only bought powered PAs because i had a couple family dos to do.

then when i moved to singapore i only brought the hi-fi with me.

granted this hifi was one of the last japan made models and kills it, just saying for mixing at home i think its more than adequate. i have yet to turn it up past 30% with the mixer at below redline

Thanks guys.

I know my setup is basic. But I'm really enjoying learning to mix intro's/outro's and beat matching ... Basic I know, but when it works well I must admit, I'm enjoying it. A lot.

Still trying to settle on a main style to focus on, I have a lot of tunes that I love, but the genres vary. Is there a section of the forum to post tunes for some 'advice' and pointers for similar tunes/dj's/sites to check out. Or is that not welcomed here? I currently use beatport. But on there recommendations I would imagine they try and push more commercial labels etc. not necessarily the best tracks for my selections .... or am I wrong? Is it ok?

Happy new year :hurr:

Still trying to settle on a main style to focus on, I have a lot of tunes that I love, but the genres vary. Is there a section of the forum to post tunes for some 'advice' and pointers for similar tunes/dj's/sites to check out. Or is that not welcomed here? I currently use beatport. But on there recommendations I would imagine they try and push more commercial labels etc. not necessarily the best tracks for my selections .... or am I wrong? Is it ok?

Happy new year :hurr:

Welcome mate!

There was a thread a while ago with places we get music from. The common ones were beatport, iTunes and tracksource (can't remember how it's spelt). We can suggest labels once you've knuckled down what you're into. Piracy isn't welcomed here so you won't get some sneaky back door sites.

As for picking your style, I don't believe there's a rush for it when you're learning the basics. If you can mix all your favourite songs together from different genres the you've got your best matching down to a tee, which is the main thing :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...