Stuggling to pick up gigs - Brisbane

DtotheAN

Hey everyone

not sure if something similar has been posted. My business partner and I have started our own mobile DJ business. We have all the gear, looking at insurance and all that. We are just struggling to gain gigs. We have had a couple in the pay few months but really want to start getting in a constant stride. We have a Facebook page setup which is starting to grow but in saying that not many gigs are coming from it. We are getting business cards made up aswell as we speak.

How did you guys start off and spread the word. Was it one large gig that started the ball for consistency?

Thanks

If you're wanting mobile gigs, Sol Dios is the man to speak to.

If it's club gigs, get in with a bunch of promoters, play the shit sets to build their respect and it will blossom from there.

Look at open decks nights, competitions, etc and that will also help.

Yay I'm referenced.

In my experience the best and pretty much only way to get gigs is word of mouth. Sure you can try gumtree adds and such but I've never witnessed them do that much.

Having a Facebook page is also nice, and looks good when people try to search you. However I would only use it for peoples reference when they do search you, as Facebook's default reach is pathetic. Unless 3 people like each post next to no one will actually see it in their feeds.

But again, WORD OF MOUTH really is the biggest key. Absolutely the biggest key. Do well at a gig, give out business cards to people who approach you or request stuff, or even come to say thanks after a gig. Also make sure to have them in easy access during the night also (for people who approach).

100% of my gigs these days are from chaining gigs. If I do well at a gig il give out about 10 business cards around the end + whatever is taken during the night. From that I usually receive 5 call backs or enquiries (FB adds etc also), and from that I usually receive 1-2 bookings.

Just keep that word of mouth going and give every gig your all, show that you put the effort in and watch it grow :)

... If it's club gigs, get in with a bunch of promoters, play the shit sets to build their respect and it will blossom from there.

Look at open decks nights, competitions, etc and that will also help.

pretty much what andyman said. if you want club gigs is to rock up to venues, talk and drink with people. get in with promoters or be a promoter yourself and keep an ear to the ground.

only reason i got to be a resident where i was, was to make my name know to the dj's, staff and owner and wait for the change to play. i got my chance when they hosted a DJ comp, didnt come in first but it showed i could play.

Yay I'm referenced.

In my experience the best and pretty much only way to get gigs is word of mouth. Sure you can try gumtree adds and such but I've never witnessed them do that much.

Having a Facebook page is also nice, and looks good when people try to search you. However I would only use it for peoples reference when they do search you, as Facebook's default reach is pathetic. Unless 3 people like each post next to no one will actually see it in their feeds.

But again, WORD OF MOUTH really is the biggest key. Absolutely the biggest key. Do well at a gig, give out business cards to people who approach you or request stuff, or even come to say thanks after a gig. Also make sure to have them in easy access during the night also (for people who approach).

100% of my gigs these days are from chaining gigs. If I do well at a gig il give out about 10 business cards around the end + whatever is taken during the night. From that I usually receive 5 call backs or enquiries (FB adds etc also), and from that I usually receive 1-2 bookings.

Just keep that word of mouth going and give every gig your all, show that you put the effort in and watch it grow :)

solid advice :thumleft: nice one sol

Social media is undersold for this sort of shit.

Get yourself all over it. Join every group and learn HOW to market yourself (not just spam the same shit everywhere).

Become a part of communities and they will receive you well when you want something back.

Market yourself the right way.

(If you have any questions regarding what I've said, or want me to go further into it, then shoot). :thumleft:

Sol touched on a well known marketing fact. If you are in contact with a shit load of people a few will develop into enquiries. And even less into a gig. Roughly 5 to 10 percent of the people you get in contact with will convert to customers.

So you can either increase the numbers you ate in contact with and/or concentrate on a higher hit rate.

How to increase those numbers is the big question. Possibly try to team up with related businesses like photographer or party supply businesses to gain referrals from them.

Edit: and like Cupe says. Social media the hell out of things. It's essentially free. Look for local groups. The world lives on Facebook these days. People have forgotten there is an internet out there.

Thanks for Your help guys. Looks like the main thing is smashing the few gigs we do get at the start and spam the shit out of people with business cards and at an appropriate level on social media. I will also take onboard trying to team up with a photographer and get into some businesses that are event management and see how I go.

On a side note. Does anyone have a preferred insurance company they go through for the liability insurance. Even though I'm sure it's rare you need it I would rather make sure I'm insured I case some idiot trips over our shit

Thanks again!

• 1 year later...

Use social media to amplify word of mouth: reviews, post photos of gigs, get active in communities.  

Also use search. SEO and PPC/Adwords.  Plus have a website that is smick and converts well.  I work in marketing (part time, DJ business is too busy) and run a mobile DJ business. But SolDios is right the best way to get gigs is word of mouth. Due to my marketing efforts I get tonnes of inquiries from people who find from search who really have no idea who I am. Out of these inquiries one in 10 book because they are looking for a cheaper price usually.  Out of the word of mouth inquiries 90% book.