Picking up CDJ's as a Vinyl DJ

RichoKidd

So I've been asked to spin at a local pub, but they're rolling with CDJs (Pioneer CDJ-850's).

Now as a Traktor Scratch Vinyl DJ, I am wondering how difficult it will be for me to pick these up with zero experience. I do have the option of bringing my decks if I chose, but if its easy enough to rock up and mix with these CDJ's (still using Traktor) I will.

Its not like a really difficult gig, its just some background music really, top 40, commercial, rnb & hip hop. All that radio stuff, so I don't need to make meticulous transitions.

Opinions?

i hopped onto cdj's without any knowledge and it took a minute but eventually i got mixing on them.

obviously using the pitch is the same.

the thing i could never figure out was how to change the cue point so i had to live with whatever it was cued at which was sometimes way wrong and a lot of time i resorted to using the turnie thing like turntable platters to find my cue

and i didnt get all that good at the whole nudging thing.

so i do suggest get someone to have a rundown with you how to set cues, how to load tracks (as i think they may be all different), and then from there its the same old same old.

mixing on cd's is pretty simple. there's a few habits as a vinyl dj that you don't need, such as cuing the track. you can just press play and the tune will start instantly. if you like that vinyl feel where you kinda "scratch" back an fourth before you let it go then you can do that with the cds as well, however it doesn't feel anywhere near the same lol

if you asked to take in your own gear i'm sure they wouldn't mind

I'd probably take your own decks mainly because you have used them 0. Reasons:

-you don't want to look like an idiot in front of the bar manager/owner

-if something goes wrong it will be far quicker to troubleshoot on something you're familiar with

if you want to get familiar with cdjs on traktor it isn't difficult. If you can borrow/hire some for the weekend and get familiar with the whole setup, then I'd say you'd be fine.

I think I want to invest in some CDJ's eventually as it seems it's industry standard now days unless you're at a pub (and even then, they seem to be converting). As for this gig, the promoter got the date wrong and, as I'm already booked, I can't do this gig anymore, but hey, it means I'm in demand right :king:

• 3 weeks later...

I was a one eyed hater of cdj's since they first became popular. This was purely because i thought they would be the death of vinyl dj'ing. But after having Oxy give me a couple of lessons i realised you can be an awesome or shit dj onany equipment really. Im glad i have learned the basics as a few times now, ive had to use them in a gig situation playing tunes for other artists on the bill who only have a cd version of their beats. I still find it hard to mix properly on them because they just feel wierd after having a moving platter on my tt's. Still as a performer i think its wise to have knowledge of all types of equipment, making you more versatile and usefull in any situation you might face.

Scratching on them feels just plain wrong to me tho hahahahha.