Deadmau5 To Bieber - "It's not your f#@&ing album..."

OxyKon

http://storage.googleapis.com/operating-tiger-665.appspot.com/blogs/feeds/6075.jpg?t=1451647628

On a recent live stream on his Twitch channel Deadmau5 explained some of his thoughts that lead to the Twitter beef with Skrillex over Halloween weekend.

The video started as a review of the film The Zero Theorem, but a fan comment sparked the discussion of Justin Bieber and Skrillex. As always, Joel pulls no punches, laying into Bieber and the whole world of pop music.

We transcribed some of the most relevant pieces of his rant below, but check out the full video yourself. Let us know what you think in the comments.

Transcript from the video is below:

What do you mean Justin Bieber's new record is fire? You mean, the record that Justin Bieber's on, that has his name on it, that he hired other fucking people to do is fire? Yeah, I can accept that okay, I can accept that his album is probably good… that's… I have no qualms with that. I know decent production when I hear it, I'm not, that's not what I'm mad about. What I'm mad about is that none of it is this little fucking dickhead's. Do you get what I'm saying? 'This is my album' No it's not your fucking album, it's… it's Skrillex's fucking album. It's fucking, god knows who's album, it's this guys album, and you going 'hum hah hum hah'. Not even to shit you even wrote, cuz it fucking took you four other guys to write that too. You're just a little meat puppet dude. And, that's what irritates me, that's what gets my fucking goat… Ya get it, ya know what I mean? Like, so it's not that I'm, I hate Skrillex and I hate the shit he does, and nah nah nah nah. I hate that he allowed himself to be a goddamned tool for someone else.

Fuck man, 'listen to my new album'. What did you do? Oh you sang on it… okay, okay, well you know what I can credit you, for having, to be able to hold a pitch on two syllables throughout an entire 75 minute long fucking album. If that's the credit you deserve, then that's the credit you're gonna fucking get. But, you didn't make any of this fucking shit. You just basically jumped into a shit hot fucking scene, which is the trappy, dubsteppy, wah Diplo, nah nah nah thing, and you just fucking took it, and you Will-I-Am'd it. And they let you do it! That's what pisses me off, that's what makes me an angry Twitter guy when it comes to those fucking dudes… they let them do it.

This is the sense of empowerment that I get as a musician, this is what I get out of this: is that I can go in that fucking studio, and click and make things, and sample and play synths, and sequence shit, midi stuff, and then I can put together a whole fucking song, just doing that… And you've all seen me fucking do it, ya know what I mean? And then I can do eleven of those, and I can compile them, and I can even do the own fucking artwork for the shit, ya know and I can package it… And I can, I can take this fucking thing, and I can go 'This is me', like 'I made this, this is mine, and I, this is my fucking shit, this is what I do with my life, ya know and here, I want you to have this'.

It's not that I have a problem with dubstep, or Skrillex, or those guys that do things, it's that I have a problem that they enable themselves and they put themselves in these positions to be a part of… bullshit.

That's just my opinion man… that's just why I personally get upset about it. I'm not saying that's why everyone should get upset about it. That's just me. And I'm just that guy who has no problem fucking saying it… cuz I've already tried to ruin my career and it doesn't work.

It's sucks you can't put that in Twitter though…

Source

Pop music has always been made by producers is Billie Jean any less of a tune because Quincey Jones produced no it's a collaboration.

Ok Justin Bieber is a fucktard but he is part of pop music making machine and those other pop edm artist making money out of it are also part of the machine (hell if I had those skills and somebody paid me to do it I would) just don't listen to it make your own music and listen to inderpendent dance music there is plenty for everybody.

Are you trying to tell Deadmau5 has never done anything for purely money

What Cee said, I actually dig a fair few tunes from the new JB album, which is much more than I can say about anything DM has done. Has been interesting to see JB's music change with the people that he hangs with, hence his early shit being terrible, and most recent stuff being actually pretty good. If you watch a few Jack U interviews, both Skrillex and Diplo go on about how talented and hard working JB is, and Diplo most certainly knows talent when he sees it.

Man DM is an ugly WHALE irl too.

I must admit I'm actually becoming a belieber lol. 8O

He might not have sat there and hand selected each track or created each beat loop and sample, but he is actually having some input to most of his tracks and being apart of the creation, which is more than most artists these days.

I respect him for that, and these days Deadmau5  is fishing for attention by just raging at every other artist... he is starting to look like a real dick

^ Deadmau5 has always been a dick. Like I said, he's a drama queen. Always has been even before he was a mau5.

I've enjoyed a bit of Bieber's work after listening to "All That Matters" a while ago back in 2013, I think. Still wouldn't say I love him but I've bought a couple of his singles post 2013.

However, I still agree with Mau5 when it comes to pop music. Quincey Jones may have produced "Billie Jean" but Michael Jackson is still the star. He can sing, he can perform and he's incredibly unique as an artist. No one else could have made "Billie Jean" as unique as it is except for the king himself. But with JB, I honestly think you could replace him with another pop singer and there wouldn't be any difference.

48 minutes ago, Narukami said:

^ Deadmau5 has always been a dick. Like I said, he's a drama queen. Always has been even before he was a mau5.

I've enjoyed a bit of Bieber's work after listening to "All That Matters" a while ago back in 2013, I think. Still wouldn't say I love him but I've bought a couple of his singles post 2013.

However, I still agree with Mau5 when it comes to pop music. Quincey Jones may have produced "Billie Jean" but Michael Jackson is still the star. He can sing, he can perform and he's incredibly unique as an artist. No one else could have made "Billie Jean" as unique as it is except for the king himself. But with JB, I honestly think you could replace him with another pop singer and there wouldn't be any difference.

A couple of years ago I would've believed that, but he is starting to make a name for himself, ylots so hard these days for kids to make a name for themselves because every Tom Dick  and Harry are brining out albums

4 hours ago, CapFive said:

A couple of years ago I would've believed that, but he is starting to make a name for himself, ylots so hard these days for kids to make a name for themselves because every Tom Dick  and Harry are brining out albums

Eh, imo, I still think there's nothing really that unique about him. I will agree that he is getting better as an artist, though he still sings lame ass pop love songs. Who knows, he might blow everyone away with some absolute gems in the future. 

2 hours ago, LabRat said:

i'm gonna be that guy and say it's fucking stupid to single out beiber for this. every (modern day) pop artist doesn't write their own music. can we make a scene about nikki minaj instead? same rules apply 

Haha, I was actually gonna mention Nicki Minaj in my last post. I didn't because I didn't think Bieber is as bad as Minaj.

Imo, there's a lot of great current pop music. Lorde's "Pure Heroine", "Random Access Memories" by Daft Punk and "Plastic Beach" by Gorillaz are some of my favourite albums from this decade. I think you just gotta look deeper. Gorillaz, Lorde, Sam Smith, Lana Del Rey, Kendrick Lamar, Lupe Fiasco. There are some good pop artists that are also incredibly smart. Unfortunately, the likes Nicki Minaj, Miley Cyrus and such are what people like to talk about.

Fun fact: "Anaconda" was written by 7 people.

1 hour ago, Narukami said:

Eh, imo, I still think there's nothing really that unique about him. I will agree that he is getting better as an artist, though he still sings lame ass pop love songs. Who knows, he might blow everyone away with some absolute gems in the future. 

Haha, I was actually gonna mention Nicki Minaj in my last post. I didn't because I didn't think Bieber is as bad as Minaj.

Imo, there's a lot of great current pop music. Lorde's "Pure Heroine", "Random Access Memories" by Daft Punk and "Plastic Beach" by Gorillaz are some of my favourite albums from this decade. I think you just gotta look deeper. Gorillaz, Lorde, Sam Smith, Lana Del Rey, Kendrick Lamar, Lupe Fiasco. There are some good pop artists that are also incredibly smart. Unfortunately, the likes Nicki Minaj, Miley Cyrus and such are what people like to talk about.

Fun fact: "Anaconda" was written by 7 people.

True. Who run the world by Beyoncé was (I think) "produced" and "written" by 9 people. 

I just feel that bieber is copping it for no reason right now. The guys you mentioned may have something to do with their songs but I'm sure there's more than 1 guy working on it. I don't particularly put a blame on anyone or condone these artists being produced by a team of people. Fact is it's a big money industry and there's people involved to make sure the money keeps coming in. If I was asked, or anyone else for that matter, to produce for one of these figure heads (it's what they are I guess) id jump down the throat of that opportunity! If the artist I produced the track for walks around saying it's theirs then so be it. They're the face of the song and it's who the public recognises. I still got my money and my name will always be in the credits if anyone wanted to look.