Technics SL-1200 turntable returns in two new audiophile models

OxyKon

9gm2giT.jpg

The legendary Technics SL-1200 turntable has been a mainstay of the DJ scene for decades now, but the tanklike direct-drive turntable has also long had a quiet reputation for sound quality as well. And for the 50th anniversary of the SL-1200, Technics is releasing two new "Grand Class" models aimed at audiophiles: the aluminum-cased SL-1200G and the magnesium limited anniversary edition SL-1200GAE, of which only 1,200 will be produced. (Get it?)

a7OsPPO.jpg

Apart from the case, the new models all have new "high-dampening tonearm" and a "three-layered turntable," which are words that audiophiles who buy a limited edition magnesium record player are sure to be excited about. There's also a new microprocessor controlled direct-drive system which eliminates something called "cogging," a scrouge so terrible that Technics devotes a full paragraph to it in the press release. Here is that paragraph. Behold its majesty:

Direct drive turntable systems have been beloved by HiFi enthusiasts since their birth in 1972. However, one problem that direct-drive systems have always faced was sound quality degradation caused by 'cogging’, or tiny vibrations of the motor and rotational speed fluctuations. However, by combining the knowledge and expertise gained as the originator of direct-drive turntable systems with a newly developed coreless direct-drive motor without iron core, this ‘cogging’ can be eliminated. Any potential minute motor vibrations are suppressed even further by high-precision rotary positioning sensors guided by a microprocessor controlled system; a feature unique to the new Technics turntable.

YuN2MQh.jpg

Vinyl record sales have been booming lately, so it's not at all surprising that Technics is capitalizing on the SL-1200's mystique here — we're actually expecting to see a few high-end turntables at CES 2016. No word on pricing, but expect these to be crazy expensive when the 1200GAE arrives in summer and the 1200G hits late in the year. (Also, 50 years' worth of SL-1200s are also available on eBay and Craigslist in virtually every city in the world, if you're that impatient.)

Source

10 hours ago, OxyKon said:

I am really looking forward to seeing these in action, although i won't be upgrading from my 1200 mk5's any time soon, am still very keen to see how these handle 

If I had a set of mk5's I probably wouldn't bother but my mkII's are ancient. I've had them for 12 years  8O and they weren't new when I got them either.

14 minutes ago, russell said:

If I had a set of mk5's I probably wouldn't bother but my mkII's are ancient. I've had them for 12 years  8O and they weren't new when I got them either.

Neither were my mk5's, although I was very lucky to get them in imaculate condition, and I've since now done some mods to them with the help of Duz 

Dj Jazzy Jeff posted this on his Facebook, I don't think he's expecting them to be affordable

Everyone is posting the return of the 1200. I have a different feeling about this. Trust me these have been the cornerstone of every DJ for the past 30 years and I don't know how life would have been without them...BUT they were never intended for us to DJ on...they never really gave support to theDJ community. They have been discontinued and relaunched 100 times even if it has been urban legend. I bought my 1st pair for $245.00 from Sound of Market in Philly and saw them get to over $1000.00 because of the fear they would go away forever. Vestex,Stanton ect have tried to replace them but never quite could. Then the patent runs out and we get the Pioneer Turntable which with my eyes closed I can't tell the difference...costing less than half the price with all the little upgrades and from a company that kinda gives a shit about DJs! So before I get super hyped about the return of the 1200...lemme make sure there gonna care about who's using them and there not $2000.00!!! Time will tell!!! Just MY thoughts!

6 hours ago, LabRat said:

mixmag.com says $4,000 (probably usd)

What a joke lol

ooft. At first I hoped that would be the limted edition ones but according to whathifi that mixmag quoted that is the standard table. 

fuck that... I'd rather get some work done t my 1210's to improve them or get the pioneers like jazzy jeff says ;)

Spend the change on records 8)

^

i think the other problem is that Technic saw all those years ago that there was a growing market for DJ's that wanted to use their TT's, and that's when they started to jack up the price, now because they've gone away for so long and people are talking about the return so much, they know they can keep the price up there and even jack it up further and people will still buy them.

People will pay for a brand, regardless of price/quality.

Look at something like Beats by Dre, not necessarily the best quality, but their brand presence means they can sell headphones for a massive margin.

I know that Technics are amazing quality, however given their reputation and market presence they can sell for whatever they want and people will still buy them.

9 hours ago, andyman said:

I know that Technics are amazing quality, however given their reputation and market presence they can sell for whatever they want and people will still buy them.

Roland could have done the same with the release of their TR-8 drum machine. 

808's and 909's are highly sought after so they could easily have jacked the price right up for a machine that essentially contains both of them (albeit not true analogue like the 808 and most of the 909). 

They didn't however as they knew the market that would want to buy them couldn't afford extortionate pricing.

It's a shame Technics have decided to just cash in