Improve timing when mixing in/out

Rusty1

I'm recording my sets now and whenever I mix out of a song into another song very quickly I can always hear a bit of the song I'm mixing out of. Its like I'm not doing it fast enough. It sounds horrible. Is there anyway to fix this timing issue? Its mostly happening when using the up faders and cross fader

Try using the EQ. By slowing cutting out the frequencies from the highs and mids (assuming you've already cut the low) you can reduce the volume that way and when it comes time to cut the track it'll be nice and sharp. It'll take some  finesse using the knobs and the fader but that'll cut the volume nicely

That makes sense but how can I cut down the volume when its the main part playing? Wont that just sound bad? The type of mix I'm talking about is like a straight cut from one song about to breakdown into another songs breakdown. Also do you know of any tutorials that can help me out with eqing tracks whilst djing. I've looked and all I've managed to find is just crappy tutorials saying that the low end eq boosts or subtracts the bass of the song. I want a more detailed tutorial on making smoother mixes with eqing. 

A simple technique you can learn is to "swap" the bass EQ. So the transition would be summarised as follows:

-Track A is playing

-Bring in track B with bass EQ cut

-When you've got the faders right up on both tracks, cut the bass EQ of track A at the same time you bring in the bass EQ of track B

-Fade out track A

The key point to all of this is timing... Knowing when to hit play on the incoming track, when to bring the volume up, when to swap the EQ, and when to fade the old track out. Most of this timing comes down to knowing about phrasing. Here is a decent video I just found in about the concept:

Just a note on that video - long term you don't want to rely on the visual cues in Traktor as you may want to move onto CDJs / vinyl down the track which may not have as much detailed info, or Traktor may get it wrong. Use it as a learning tool if you wish, but rely on your ears :)

Keep practicing, listening back on recordings of yourself, listening to other DJ mixes etc. and you'll get there. 

If you want us to listen over anything for critique/advice, post audio up in a thread and we'll help dude

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...