Beginner turntable question

jashford

Hi guys,

Recently came into some money and would really like to get a direct drive turntable for listening to records and for messing around sampling/studio stuff.

The Stanton str8-150 look nice, little pricey

And the audio technica LP-1240 USB look sweet too 

Is there much of a difference between them ?

Are they overkill? Defiantly want to get into sampling but also love a good album on vinyl 

Any advice / other suggestion would be much appreciado ! :)

Cheers,

Jack

Straight arm came in for better tracking for scratching and stuff, however people have been scratching since forever on technics, so I wouldn't get caught up on that. If you're only getting something to listen to records on, you don't need anything too over the top and I'd go for curved tonearm. Mostly what you get for the extra money is better torque which is important for DJing, and better build quality. I'd say get a basic turntable, but then get decent needles for listening that have decent sound quality and minimal wear on the record, you don't need super tracking (which wears the vinyl out more) if you're not DJing.

I don't have much experience with anything other than Technics, but what's your budget?

I find the pioneer turntable to sit inbetween the technics and the Stanton. The pioneer has a decent drive and it tracks pretty well. Definitely worth consideration.  

As a personal preference, I rate the Stanton quite high and prefer the 150s over the technics

the new one is the PLX 500 - it's a digital turntable with USB out as well as normal RCA. It's not available yet in Aus as far as I know. the PLX 1000 got a decent review though, although it was a fully analogue table, and must be a better build at double the price.

If you're looking for something cheap just to play https://www.storedj.com.au/products/STN-T62

I think these are the ones @Cupe has and seem OK.

But if you want it for sampling, might be better to hold out for the PLX 500 as you can record straight from USB without needing a soundcard as well.

o, also make sure you get good needles - the ones that come with the turntables are usually average. These are the ones I have, which are a decent midrange concorde -  https://www.storedj.com.au/products/ORT-OCCONPROS

i have st-150s for about 7 years and yeh still going strong with original stylus

so yeah stantons go well

for sampling its probably more important how you sampling (what are you using) versus the turnie you using. unless you ripping whole tracks. then i guess you'd want one that has much less wow and flutter (though it gives it that turntable feel)

• 1 month later...