Bedroom Dj ready for the next step!

Aestethic_Chill

Hi!

I won't bore you with any long stories so I'll get straight to it. I've always had a passion for Dj'ing and music production but it was only last year when I decided to do something about it. Fast forward to today and I feel confident enough to show the world my passion and invite you to join me achieving my goal of becoming a world renowned DJ/Music Producer.

I lived in NSW for about 5 years before moving to Melbourne mid last year and I'm trying to build up a network to get a few gigs. I've never played at a club or private event before so I'd welcome any advice from experienced DJ's.

It's harder than I thought to get people to give you their opinion on your mixes which is why I thought it might be best to show you guys who have similar tastes.

Follow me on SC - Ty Desroches - ANY feedback will be welcome :)

Hey mate, welcome to the forums.

There is plenty of advice out there for you to take, but most of it will be irrelevant to your experience. What I mean is, you will not absorb most of it until years to come.

However the most straight forward advice I have for you is the following...

Start simple, remain humble, work your networks. A philosophy I live by in almost every application in my life.

Starting simple; learning the basics inside out. Beat matching, phrasing, in key and out of key mixing, watching proper DJs LIVE and don't learn bad habits or attitudes.

Remain humble; keep your ego in check. The reality of DJing is that there will always be someone out there that is better or more unique than you in their own way. Find your product and work with that.

Work your networks; expand your social boundaries, attend events of multiple genres, meet and greet people with no hidden agenda.

If you get these down for the next 6-12-24 months you may create an opportunity to play your first live set. Remember, it isn't entirely about what you know in this industry, more who you know. So you need to create that in order for it to happen. However, backing it up with a skill set that is impressive shows you mean business. Because ultimately DJing is a business. You wouldn't go into your day job and only do half the work...

I'll have a listen to your mixes, I would suggest you make a post for your latest one in a thread here on the forums. Just make sure it goes into the right section ;)

On 2/21/2017 at 6:31 PM, Matt Ingle said:

Hey mate, welcome to the forums.

There is plenty of advice out there for you to take, but most of it will be irrelevant to your experience. What I mean is, you will not absorb most of it until years to come.

However the most straight forward advice I have for you is the following...

Start simple, remain humble, work your networks. A philosophy I live by in almost every application in my life.

Starting simple; learning the basics inside out. Beat matching, phrasing, in key and out of key mixing, watching proper DJs LIVE and don't learn bad habits or attitudes.

Remain humble; keep your ego in check. The reality of DJing is that there will always be someone out there that is better or more unique than you in their own way. Find your product and work with that.

Work your networks; expand your social boundaries, attend events of multiple genres, meet and greet people with no hidden agenda.

If you get these down for the next 6-12-24 months you may create an opportunity to play your first live set. Remember, it isn't entirely about what you know in this industry, more who you know. So you need to create that in order for it to happen. However, backing it up with a skill set that is impressive shows you mean business. Because ultimately DJing is a business. You wouldn't go into your day job and only do half the work...

I'll have a listen to your mixes, I would suggest you make a post for your latest one in a thread here on the forums. Just make sure it goes into the right section ;)

Thanks Matt! I think you hit the nail on the head with the "remain humble" point. I'm currently aiming for 3 months as a goal to get my first gig fingers crossed.

I appreciate the honest feedback

On 2/22/2017 at 7:27 PM, Mitch said:

Hi :safe:

What style of music are you into? Melb (well, any really) scene is all about who you know, networking, building relationships. Then when you get a shot you gotta back it up with skill. There's an overflow of talent at the moment.

Good luck

Hey Mitch,

I'm a massive fan of house/deep/tech and techno. I'm hoping to capitalize on this since the Melbourne scene doesn't really have much going with these genres aside from places like revs, cloud9 etc. I'll be sure to load a couple of mixes on here to get some genuine feedback! 

3 hours ago, Aestethic_Chill said:

Hey Mitch,

I'm a massive fan of house/deep/tech and techno. I'm hoping to capitalize on this since the Melbourne scene doesn't really have much going with these genres aside from places like revs, cloud9 etc. I'll be sure to load a couple of mixes on here to get some genuine feedback! 

That's where you're wrong, my friend!

1) cloud 9 isn't techno

2) There are stacks of places that play house and techno. Circus, Pawn & Co, Less Than Zero, Lucky Coq, onesixone, Night Cat, Brunswick Hotel (on occasion), Gasometer, Brown Alley, glamorama, new guernica, bird watching, somewhere bar (some nights), campari, 29th apartment, bimbos, veludo, prince, my aeon. That's just a start

20 hours ago, Mitch said:

That's where you're wrong, my friend!

1) cloud 9 isn't techno

2) There are stacks of places that play house and techno. Circus, Pawn & Co, Less Than Zero, Lucky Coq, onesixone, Night Cat, Brunswick Hotel (on occasion), Gasometer, Brown Alley, glamorama, new guernica, bird watching, somewhere bar (some nights), campari, 29th apartment, bimbos, veludo, prince, my aeon. That's just a start

That's a good point, well to be honest I've only ever gone once so perhaps they had some event on? I love New Guernica, probably one of my favourite night clubs. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be sure to check em' out :)

On 2/24/2017 at 11:42 AM, Aestethic_Chill said:

Hey Mitch,

Keep an eye out for open decks nights, they're a good place to start.

The Vic used to do them, and I think Grumpys do as well.

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 11:42 AM, Aestethic_Chill said:

Hey Mitch,

Looking forward to hearing a mix man!