1 million mix downs

Bristles

I have to mix a song about 10 times at least to get the right levels, normally effects and eq and all that are pretty right after 1st or 2nd go but more the volume balance between different tracks. Anyone else struggle/or do you have some sort of life changing pro tip for me?

ps I know I'll get better etc etc but surely you have a tactic you mix with you can share??

1 hour ago, Matt Ingle said:

Hey mate, the simple answer is there is no magical short cut pro tip to make this process easier. It is just simply experience. Obviously if there are similarities to your previous work you will have more efficient ways to get the result, but it really does come down to experience...

yeah figured.. worth a short but. seems to be my drums more than anything, they always seem to pop through to hard and I spend ages fiddling with them. cheers for response but

What genre are you producing?

Just remember that the way you mix your tracks can really define an overall character. When I mix down my tracks I tend to run my tops softer than most and use a couple of complex dynamic multi-band EQ compressors to help lift the melody and vocals (if there are any) out of the track. Problem is that each track needs to be approached as a new track. Complacency is terrible in any industry.

Have you got an example of a track you are working on at the moment?

yeah experience is definitely key in this situation. losing our shit coz we can't get a mix right is a pretty common occurrence lol 

you can use a reference track if you like. it'll be a guide to help you get some levels around the right areas. multi band compressors are a useful tool to keep selected frequency ranges in check.

mixing drums and be different from genre to genre, or just in general to what vibe you're going for. If you want an aggressive drum track you definitely want to get the mix right so it doesn't over-power the rest of the song. multi band dynamics will help a lot here. if you post up an example i'm sure we could throw some ideas your way

10 hours ago, Matt Ingle said:

What genre are you producing?

Just remember that the way you mix your tracks can really define an overall character. When I mix down my tracks I tend to run my tops softer than most and use a couple of complex dynamic multi-band EQ compressors to help lift the melody and vocals (if there are any) out of the track. Problem is that each track needs to be approached as a new track. Complacency is terrible in any industry.

Have you got an example of a track you are working on at the moment?

1 hour ago, LabRat said:

yeah experience is definitely key in this situation. losing our shit coz we can't get a mix right is a pretty common occurrence lol 

you can use a reference track if you like. it'll be a guide to help you get some levels around the right areas. multi band compressors are a useful tool to keep selected frequency ranges in check.

mixing drums and be different from genre to genre, or just in general to what vibe you're going for. If you want an aggressive drum track you definitely want to get the mix right so it doesn't over-power the rest of the song. multi band dynamics will help a lot here. if you post up an example i'm sure we could throw some ideas your way

Cheers guys, I've been working on a few genres lately. I'll send you an example when I get a chance and I'm not stuck at work. Need to learn some more about multibands, got a real rough idea but not too much knowledge on em. Any good tutorials or explanations you guys know of?