How to get your name around - Need Feedback!

So, I'm in a situation where I've been dj'ing for about a year. I wouldn't say I'm the best but I think I might have some potential. The problem is I don't know what other people think, it seems like people are either just not interested or feel bad for saying it's terrible. Hopefully I can get some feedback from total strangers, honest opinions at that :).

For any professional Dj's out there, is there any tips on how to get people to rate your work and how to handle criticism?

Please have a listen to my latest mix on SC; it's a Jackin' House Mix I did. ANY feedback will be appreciated! :banana:

with social media being a big and easy source of promotion, i would suggest getting involved with that. it's a stats game today so any kind of traffic that drives you to your socials is gonna help. i don't play a big role with my socials but there's some people around here that could help with suggestions and ideas.  

get out there and get involved in your scene. put money behind the bar, get to know people and even help promote the night by dragging your mates down. it's very much a "what are you going to do for me" situation. when i was running my night i was out to help people but you understand quite quickly why most promoters are the way they are, and it's because no one gives back to the night. it got to a point where i had people ask me to play for free but they didn't promote my night nor did some of them even rock up! (some had no idea what it was. they only contacted me because one of their mates told them too)... 

stay humble, there's too many cock heads out there. show your support for your local scene and those guys will give back to you. 

OK, so there are two things you're talking about here:

1) technical ability

2) getting exposure -> assuming this is so you can move toward getting gigs?

I had a quick flick through the mix.

Genre: Personally wouldn't exactly call it jacking house, there was a bit of variety, but most of the tunes are what I'd expect to hear at a commercial / electro house night. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you're into.. But if you're trying to get gigs and telling promoters you're playing jacking house, I don't really know anyone booking 'jacking house' DJs around Melbourne at the moment, let alone for opening sets.

Mixing: OK in the sense that beatmatching and phrasing was on most of it. Levels were a bit up and down - the mixes sounded a lot like the incoming track just had the drums slammed over the live track, which makes the kicks sound wrong. EQ is your friend here - you don't want the low end of both tracks up if they both have heavy kicks going, you get volume peaks/drops and it makes it sound really noticeable that you're mixing a track in. Also try work on some different transition styles than straight intro/outro mixing with the same EQ movements each time.

Flow: Half hr is pretty short.. But think about if you were in a club, you want to build up to a peak, drop back off a bit to give the dancers a rest, build up again, and the night goes around like this. Then depending on what time the place shuts, fades off a bit toward the end of the night generally. Listen to some DJ sets and pay particular attention to the order they play their tracks.

Exposure: The hardest one. You can circulate via socials to friends and you may get a few plays, but the fact is not many people will listen. Unless they're a DJ, they probably don't listen to that style of music day in, day out. As labrat said - if you want exposure in terms of gigs, you need to be out meeting people all the time, frequenting the venues you wish to play at. It all comes down to $ at the end of the day, so they're going to book people they like / will bring them $ in / they're so good that they create the exact vibe the venue is going for.

Also, it's hard to get the first few gigs at venues. Just remember, no matter how good you are mixing in your bedroom, it doesn't transfer into club experience. Using equipment in the loud, dark room, people hanging off you, having to read the crowd, conform to the promoter's vision/music policies, probably had a few drinks before hand, etc... you will probably muck something up. So they will put you at the quietest time of the night; at least to start with. Find the venues you want to play at (generally a venue where you already know someone involved somehow), turn up early and learn what music they play. Focus on becoming good at that genre, and work from there. But at the same time, you want to sound unique (without trying to contradict myself). No venue plays hits all night.

P.S. Melbourne is saturated with DJs, and a lot of them are pretty good, at least in my circles. So to become 'known' for being a good DJ around here takes a lot of time and practice. I've been chipping away for years down here.

• 11 months later...