Where to start?

Doddy

Hey guys, I figured this would be the right place to ask a few basic questions.

So predominately I would get a scratch practice and get a juggle going, maybe do some phasing with the same records and/or add in extra kick, hit hat, whatever etc, then after a while just start a normal (what I call normal) beat mix going from track A to track B, maybe intro through to outro and back to intro type deal right.  Then I started getting more specific and marking the funkiest part of the record and basically just play off those, maybe add a bit of an intro (to finalise the tempo), fade it out and then wait for the right moment where track A builds and drop break or 'funkiest banging sickest whatever' part of track B. Maybe even just loop these parts and depending on BPM, have a quick juggle...which I found hard playing at 128 BPM, like I could loop no worries, but not break down a 1-2-3-4 count like with slower hip hop tracks.

I even got to the stage of getting a graph book and noting down 'changes' in tracks, like 4 bar intro, 4 bar intro + hi hat...building for 8 bars type thing, peak for 2 bars, slow down energy for another 2, back to building for 4 or 8 whatever. 

Then I felt I had done it all and wanted a new challenge.....mind you I also walked away from it for a good few years. This is also when Serato had come out. I had a few mates that used it and I tried it, it was good, but didnt take over the original vinyl.

Anyways i got onto Maschine and Ableton and started making some tracks. Im not very seasoned in this, but I can follow a tute, and get a concept and tweak it so they dont sound exactly the same as what I am following.

I guess what I want to ask is, where do I go from here. Because I haven't mixed in a while im thinking get my ear back in shape firstly, dust off the decks and start up again....but then I read about all these controllers and fancy gadgets. Playing everything through your computer/laptop, using Launchpad? to trigger clips from Ableton....

Hell playing 2 identical records and juggling a loop was sick, then add a scratch was dope, but its like I stepped away and everything changed.

Where do I start from now? 

The answer to this question, is whatever you like!

There's no rules - if you feel like getting back in touch with your mixing roots, do it. If you feel more inclined to focus on production, that's cool too. If you've got the time.... 

200de1d4ef6baaccc1cb515779c2faf6_-meme-w 

Vinyl mixing is still well about - digital is also popular. What's coolest/best is purely opinion based.

With the boom in new technology, live shows have transformed into something unique. As I was talking in your intro thread, the sync feature helps me flawlessly drop in acapellas or other samples during a set. 

I think going digital was the best for me and I suggest giving it a go. I'll forever be grassroots, vinyl DJ, but you gotta move with the times and be as creative as you can now days. 

The launchpad and ableton offer some unique features to get you going. Machine is an avenue to look at and since you already have one it could be a better start. 

Like Mitch said, you do whatever you like, as long as you feel the enjoyment from it. I think when people spin wax now days it brings a sense of wonder back to the audience and the old boys feel the nostalgia which it's nice in a digital world. I played a gig with CDs one time purely to be a little different and I had more interest in it than I thought! Got a few high fives and thumbs up for "going old school" lol

you gotta have fun doing it at the end of the day :) 

Hi Mitch and Labrat, 

Thanks for your insight. I don't intend to 'break' into the clubbing scene, god knows I have done enough of that in my younger years, and I hear what your saying about being current and using the technology of today, and I totally somewhat agree.

I found Maschine was good and fun, especially the 'finger drumming' but wanted something a little bit more....'fuller' I guess for a better word, which is why I bought Ableton. But that then takes it onto a whole nothing level chaining up effects and going pretty full on creating sounds and breaking down a kick into a hi section and low section (Tom Cosm shoutout on that one) 

I think your both right, (lols to nostaglia and old skool of cdj's) I think I will start back at basics on vinyl, get my ear back in form first and then see where that takes me, as this is purely for the enjoyment and personal satisfaction. Then from there.....I dunno, will see where my path leads.

Mike and Qbert showed me the world of scratch, Beat Junkies/Babu showed me what is possible with 2 copies and X-cutioners really showed me a way to make a song from a loop, Rob Swift is just amazing in his routines, but I hate to say it, but the technicality is lost on people who don't understand.

Look forward to getting back on and seeing what happens. This time....no pressure on myself to become the next 'insert name' world famous dj playing huge gigs and hanging with pretty women and hot cars!

Thanks guys, appreciate your thoughts :D 

It's good to start back at the beginning! If you enjoy scratching and wanna head more down that route, there's a heap of digital options too. Serato and Traktor both have controllers that can aid for that extra awesomness. You've probably seen videos on some of the mixers and what not that are out there. All food for thought but the main thing is you're keen to get back into it :)

I can understand your "pain". I've been producing for years and apart from briefly owning a USB Hercules DJ controller for a couple months before moving and selling it, I have never DJ'd. Now looking into setting myself up to possibly do live performance one day is a headache. One minute I think Launchpad then the Push then just Pioneer decks etc.

Something that I hear a lot that resonates with me is 'whatever lets you get what's in your head out to the world'. Finding that is the hard part though I guess...

Hi Lab and Bristles,

I think you have sold me, and I will just get back into what I know and just get back into the game really. I think from there, as I do like the idea of creating your own beats and breaks/songs and whatever, I can use Ableton to create and then look into Serato and a cheapish laptop to run it on. I guess thats something I felt was missing in my setup.

Also this may also enable me to get live on the laptop and be able to play clips on the fly and scratch over that or make some finger drum patterns and chuck accapellas ontop kind of deal or whatever.  its been a while since I been out to the club, and last one I went to it was....funny actually, watching people dance to dub step was a good ole laugh.

Good stuff! Thing is im a bit older, have a good job, house and can afford to drop money each month if I really want something so thats nice. The other thought was a project race car, but I would be starting from scratch with tools and knowledge so this might be a bit more reachable.

Thanks its been good to get some ideas out and have an articulate conversation with others who know a bit more than your average Joe and not just get a blank stare and say 'radio?'

Cheers guys

Actually sorry guys, im sure there is a thread on this somewhere and I will research it, but just while I think of it.

Whats the easiest and/or best way to get recordings from vinyl? so if i do up a set on vinyl, what do I need to get what I hear to save as a physical digital copy I can then use on soundcloud? Im sure this is probably really basic and i will google fu the crap out of it, but at work and being lazy....well got heaps on and if I dont ask now I will probably forget due to IT issues ee'rywhere...stoopid transition of SOE and platform :|

5 hours ago, Mitch said:

Good luck :thumleft:

if you do anything cool, post it 

Only if it's cool though :teef:

37 minutes ago, Doddy said:

Actually sorry guys, im sure there is a thread on this somewhere and I will research it, but just while I think of it.

Whats the easiest and/or best way to get recordings from vinyl? so if i do up a set on vinyl, what do I need to get what I hear to save as a physical digital copy I can then use on soundcloud? Im sure this is probably really basic and i will google fu the crap out of it, but at work and being lazy....well got heaps on and if I dont ask now I will probably forget due to IT issues ee'rywhere...stoopid transition of SOE and platform :|

Hmm.. @LabRat?

*shrugs unhelpingly*

In response to my previous question, I found some time during my lunch to get my GoogleFu on and from what I have found, It looks like Serato can save the file as a digital copy, so thats helpful.

I think I will try to reserach a bit more, just to prove I can research and my GoogleFu technique is strong, but if anyone else has any suggestions or techniques, im all ears.

I should probably get a bit of alist of links but I have just been called out workwise and need to go offsite, but I found this quickly before I head off should any one else be interested

http://www.djingtips.com/craft/recording-mix-process 

I have not read the whole thing and it may be totally useless, but its the first one I have found that wasn't a straight recording from vinyl to pc with no...manipulation or mixing if that makes sense

Thanks lab, I might try to get down to storedj this weekend and have a bit of a chat with them as well and see what fancy options there is. ideally I assume I will either need to buy a sound card for the PC or some converter to take the signal and run it into the PC

54 minutes ago, Doddy said:

Thanks lab, I might try to get down to storedj this weekend and have a bit of a chat with them as well and see what fancy options there is. ideally I assume I will either need to buy a sound card for the PC or some converter to take the signal and run it into the PC

yeah or you could just go straight into your PC's input if you can find the right cable

8 minutes ago, LabRat said:

yeah or you could just go straight into your PC's input if you can find the right cable

Hmm I work in IT so im sure its only a matter of digging through some crates at home to find what im looking for.......I think I will have to have a look tonite and check through some old pc parts, might even have a look here while im at work and see whats old and unused. This would be a standard mic jack right...not sure what its called but the small ones....hold up I find a pic....im thinking of the little green one for a jack built into the mobo, but I think it might be different, like the bigger style one more for actual microphones.

Yeah thats the one 3.5mm jack, so that would be a no go.

And yes I have rca outputs from the mixer, but im not sure if I have the connections on the pc to plug into. If that makes sense, I use onboard sound not an actual sound card on my pc. and its not old but not new either, from memory built it back in 2015 and has an Asrock mobo

And thanks Lab for taking your time with this. I understand how frustrating people can be with technology lol

You've probably figured this out already, but you just need to get from the record out on your DJ mixer (likely RCA) to a line input on your PC. if your sound card has a 3.5mm line in that will work. If you use a mic input, it will give you distorted sound due to the different amplification. Some sound cards allow you to switch the same port between a mic and line in too.

Alternatively, a cheap USB sound card with RCA input will work. 

P.S. also an IT professional :) what city you in?

Hi Mitch, 

The mixer I have, I bought like....what approx 15+ years ago, but still goes strong (Vestax pro06). I will need to clean the faders and stuff but I plan on taking the day tomorrow and setting it all up.  I feel ashamed to say this but I moved almost 2 years ago, and put the decks on a table downstairs and that's where they have been since.......don't judge, damn life got real!. This is my reason for getting back into it. All I feel I do is work and sleep, then repeat. So as much as I would love to just play games and do whatever, there's a huge part of me that nags and says, 'if your just sitting there, be productive and help your tomorrow....today'

I know that sounds corny as but that's been my nagging voice in my head since forever.

Im gonna give this input a try and see what happens, Funny enough, I have a decent spec PC downstairs (from memory it i5, maybe 8Gb Ram single i think 600 series graph card) next to the decks that just sits there as well as, my primary PC which was a fair top end spec build at the time. (i7, dual graph cards 900 series, 16Gb RAM etc) and that's what I was doing my 3D art on, with Ableton and maschine and Adobe CS6 suite to boot....then it became the gaming pc naturally lol.

Im living in Brisbane now, houses are so much cheaper and lifestyle is awesome. in the last year I have done a rally driving course, hand fed wild dolphins, gone on a tank ride, met Cody Walker (Paul Walkers brother) and more. Those are just the main awesome things that stick in my mind. Plus the feeling of a new city where everything is new and different, so that's been great. To live in a city that actually has a CBD (like ermahgerd!)

And im really sorry guys I tend to write a thesis with each of my replies, its a great thing for work but bad habit for trying to be normal haha - Us IT guys gotta stick together! :D Its a tough gig, and I love it but damn there are some days I just want to not have to deal with issues!

Actually totally off topic, but whats with the 'basic cash' thing and I think I gave rep points but im not sure if I did it right - anyone care to expand on this for me?

Also totally stoked this forum is still running considering everything gets moved to facecrack and social media, which im not a huge fan of, so its nice to find this and be somewhat familiar with the setup/forum life lol