New mobile DJ

Jan

Hi everyone! I am new to djing and I want to start an event/mobile dj business. I wonder where to start, what licences and registration do I need? All the basic stuff. 

Hoping on hearing back from you guys soon. 

Cheers!

Jan

Welcome.

You need equipment, you need music, and you need to know what you're doing! 

So with that basic stuff out of the way, you don't really need any kind of licenses even though you should probably register to APRA. APRA distributes royalties to the artists when their music has been broadcast. You'll be required to fill in a performance report every time you play and submit it to them. I don't know anyone that does it though but it's food for thought. You need an ABN if you wish to do such work. Just like starting any business really. 

Try not to bite off more than you can chew. If you're new to DJing you're definitely heading that way by starting a mobile DJ business. I say this with all respects of course because we've all been here. I can only assume you have very little to no experience so I would strongly recommend you learn the ropes and figure out how to mix first. All the fancy new gear pretty much mixes for you but it's still very important you learn these things. I'm sure there's a million, 101 guides online so partnering that with practise you should be able to pick this up quite quickly.

Good luck!