Music genre’s and locations

Craig

Evening / morning or whenever you’re reading this. I’m still quite new here and noticed there’s only a few active users that post or reply to topics, so I thought I’d throw out the question to see what genre of music you like to mix, spin or produce or if you hold residencies ect..

Me, I’m located on the Gold Coast in Queensland, I focus on tech house – techno – base house, started mixing when I was 18, did the club scene for 2 years and gave it all up. 10 years on I’m now getting back into it. Gig wise I do some private parties / house parties and the od roof top Saturday – Sunday session. I’d like to take it a step further and do events weekly but I need to regain my skill set.

Fire away 🤙

Hey dude! Yeah there's a few common names that float around here.

So DJing wise, I started when I was 15 and started doing 16, 18 and 21st parties and stuff. Moved into the wedding scene but hated it so entered a few dj comps and started playing in nightclubs. It's a pretty hard gig here in Perth. Breaking into the scene is pretty much like anywhere else but on a much smaller scale. I started playing in venues when I was 19 and pulled the pin when I was about 26. I had a decent run but I there were a few people that didn't want me around and drove me out of the biz. Kinda sucks but I'm happier this way. It was getting real messy towards the end and I was losing all the passion I had for it. 

Producing wise, probably been doing it as long as I've been djing. I have some stuff floating around the usual online stores, had some of my tracks played by some Aussie big wigs back in the day which is always nice. I also played alongside a few of them.

I felt stuck here in Perth, like I couldn't progress any further than where I already got. The scene here changes at a rapid pace too so unless you adapt you really have a short life span. But that's ok coz I played some killer shows and broke some hearts (other djs egos) in the process so I'm happy with that 🙂 I'm still claiming I was the only DJ to ever have an encore at my last residency haha I'm also claiming that I promoted one of the biggest Saturday night events the city had seen in recent memory. I'm willing to debate that with anyone that thinks otherwise 😂 

All that aside, I still dabble in a bit here and there but definitely not taking it as serious as I once was. Having said that, I have been fishing around for the motivation to get back into it so we'll see what happens in the future. 

So that's a super small and watered down version of my life. Who's next?

On 18/04/2019 at 12:41 PM, LabRat said:

I'm also claiming that I promoted one of the biggest Saturday night events the city had seen in recent memory. I'm willing to debate that with anyone that thinks otherwise 😂 

i was witness to this so can confirm.

i started out from friends of mine who showed me the ways of vinyl, then i met @LabRat through a Tafe connection when we DJ'd a fundraiser which was 8yrs ago, he introduced me to this forum and they havent been able to get rid of me since LOL. I spin mainly Drum & Bass, hardcore Dubstep (Rapestep or whatever you want to call it), bit of breakbeat and hip hop on the side. Like labrat i too got sick of the Perth scene, too many tards that will stab you in the back or not look openly on other people who are trying to break into the scene with talent, it's all who you know. Labrat and I also had a residency at a local online radio station which we got a few gigs from but that fell in the ass after about 2yrs.

I don't mix as much i used to, but i drop something every now and then, mainly in the 3rd weekend of March of every year :P

I started in turntablism after watching sick cunts like DJ Qbert, Peanut Butter Wolf, Cut Chemist, Mix Master Mike et al and got a set of stanton vinyl decks (which I still have over a decade later).

Starting in the scratch world taught me heaps of shit valuable shit. I can basically beatmatch anything except I duno how the sync button works still 🤷‍♂️

Now I mix anything. Also like the absolute filth dubsteppy shit probably most than other genres.

Also just over 10 years ago I noticed there was no support forum for Australian DJs and made this website.

Located in Brisbane. Love anything with a broken beat first and foremost mid tempo, Glitch Hop and Ghetto Funk particularly but have been finding low tempo bass emerging well lately. Have a collection of most genres that have been dug from the depths over the years with different flavours to it that I love spinning. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey man.

I used to hold a residency at Home Nightclub in Sydney at their event called Sublime back in the day. Also used to DJ up Oxford St, The Cross, Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Adelaide, Christchurch, Queenstown and even had a gig over in Thailand once.

I started out with really old Denon dual deck CD players and first learned how to mix house/pop. I then transitioned to vinyl and found my love in mixing Progressive and Uplifting Trance. Made the transition back over to the Pioneer CDJ-1000MKIII's purely for convenience and have never really looked back. Since then, I have a daughter and really don't mix much out live anymore, but still keep in touch with the scene by recording my 2 running radio shows and mix on a Pioneer DDJ-S1 controller.

Lately I have really prefered mixing a blend of Tech-House/Progressive House/Techno and still dabble in some Trance which I hold close to my heart.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/05/2019 at 11:23 PM, NitroMonkey said:

Hey man.

I used to hold a residency at Home Nightclub in Sydney at their event called Sublime back in the day. Also used to DJ up Oxford St, The Cross, Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Adelaide, Christchurch, Queenstown and even had a gig over in Thailand once.

I started out with really old Denon dual deck CD players and first learned how to mix house/pop. I then transitioned to vinyl and found my love in mixing Progressive and Uplifting Trance. Made the transition back over to the Pioneer CDJ-1000MKIII's purely for convenience and have never really looked back. Since then, I have a daughter and really don't mix much out live anymore, but still keep in touch with the scene by recording my 2 running radio shows and mix on a Pioneer DDJ-S1 controller.

Lately I have really prefered mixing a blend of Tech-House/Progressive House/Techno and still dabble in some Trance which I hold close to my heart.

Got some and had some skin in the game by the sounds of it. Appreciate the comment to the thread!

• 1 month later...