Noise from USB audio interface - help fixing?

xyz

Hi

I'm getting high pitched pops & clicks, static, and notably when my GPU is active, a loud squeal on my monitors (Yamaha HS80Ms) while connected to my interface (I've tried two I had on hand, a Roland UA-25EX and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - it happens with both but is worse with the Scarlett).  Even just moving my mouse results in a whine.  I have no problems with the headphone jacks on either; it's just the rear outs hooking into my monitors that appear to be the issue. 

I'm using XLR to TRS 1/4" (with 1/4" to RCA adapters for the Scarlett,they may be why it's worse on that unit, not sure). 

All my gear is on the same power hub. 

Trying to research what the issue may be is doing my head in.  There are as many people saying any given solution doesn't work for them as there are people who say it did. 

Has anyone here been able to successfully work through similar issues and is willing to share or help me debug my problem? 

Thanks

yep I have the same shit with a different sound card and monitors - not sure what the solution is, but I think it's somehow related to the powerpoints and grounding. I mixed the powerpoints and powerboards my PC and monitors were plugged into and I still get noise, but it's much quieter than it used to be. I remember reading into ground loop isolators but never bothered to actually try one. My suggestion is try plugging the monitors into a powerboard connected to one powerpoint, with the PC plugged into the other powerpoint and see if that helps

Desktop (new, AMD 3600 with a <$100 Asus motherboard), the interface is connected directly to the motherboard via usb.  Doesn't matter which usb slot I use.  

I suspect there's a ground issue, but I don't understand how the interface's headphone jack isn't affected.  It's like the active monitors are picking up and amplifying interference (mainly GPU & mouse activity) from the PC via the XLR-TRS cables connected to the interface, even when that interface isn't selected as WIndows' primary audio device.  How is that possible? 

Has anyone used a DI box with ground lift (and attenuation) for monitor speakers here?  Would that help?  Or maybe even just something like these?  Relatively inexpensive so considering giving a couple a shot.  A lot of options, all cost money, NFI what the exact problem is in the first place. 

I'd avoid the 1/4" -> RCA adapters and ensure you're using TRS cables -> whatever your monitors support (XLR or TRS). This will help. 

This is a decent starting point to run through in order. https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/210293145-How-to-Resolve-Ground-Loop-Issues-Humming-and-Buzzing-Sounds-

What I'd do next:

-ensure you're using balanced cables and inputs on everything

-try the ground lift xlr adapters

-try DI box.

If you have a mate with the adapters and/or DI box to test first that's always a good way to go.

Lettuce know how you go, I haven't encountered this issue with a Desktop computer before, usually their PSU's aren't converting power like the power packs in laptops. I have encountered this issue with almost every laptop I've touched however.

Would be definitely interested to know how you solve this one!

Got the ground lift adapters in today, and they've made a world of difference.  

I can still here a tiny bit of the squeal if I get close to the speakers while the GPU is going hard, but it's inaudible from my seating position and definitely so while playing back audio - the quality of which doesn't seem to be affected. I'm very happy with my $10.04 solution! 

Cheers for the advice guys. 

58 minutes ago, xyz said:

I can still here a tiny bit of the squeal if I get close to the speakers while the GPU is going hard

Do you have any other tech plugged in nearby? I found recently that my surveillance unit interferes with my surround sound speakers. They must share a similar channel or something.

3 hours ago, Cupe said:

Do you have any other tech plugged in nearby? I found recently that my surveillance unit interferes with my surround sound speakers. They must share a similar channel or something.

They probably both run off 2.4Ghz which is common for interference. Microwaves etc. will also cause issue 

14 hours ago, Mitch said:

They probably both run off 2.4Ghz which is common for interference. Microwaves etc. will also cause issue 

Yep. I swapped the TV wifi over to 5Ghz and the Microwave no longer fucks with Netflix.

But it's weird that a surveillance box fucks with independent speakers that run off audio out. But it was 100% related.

Just thought I'd check because sometimes there's some device fucking with shit in the air and it's invisible.