Auto/Car Amp

Jaz

it it possible and sensible to use a cars amplifier to use as an amp for my sub/subs?(eg pioneer alpine etc etc, that u get from any auto store)

sorry if it sounds dumb but i meen whats the difference between a Pro DJ amp and these amps?

thanks in advance

Saw a busker at Circular Quay running an amp off a car battery with an inverter. He played all day and presumably recharged all niight.

Should work the other way around.

Man at JB Hi Fi told me that new digital amps use half the power of a non digital amps. Power supply plus amp is almost the same cost as an A.C Amp of similar power, so no great advantage.

I was heading down the same path looking to save costs.

Power supply plus amp is almost the same cost as an A.C Amp of similar power, so no great advantage.

I was heading down the same path looking to save costs.

you would need a 240v AC to 40 amp 12v DC power supply to use one of those amps for DJing... very expensive.

FabDJ also mentioned "digital car amps", these are the same technology as in the "switch mode" amps such as the behringer epx3000 we are talking about in the other thread. Just has a different name. They all work differently by using switch mode transformers rather than solid copper torodials resulting in alot less heat and weight.

They're just starting to come down in cost now, but beware the cheap and nasty brand, as switch mode power supplies don't pack anywhere near the same punch as an old class D equivalent.