UPDATE: Simply Amazed....wow :(

Jaz

so if you saw 1 of my previous threads about DJ city fucking me around, well the shit amp they sent was picked up and i got a replacement, well the replacement arrived today and i hooked it all up, and to my surprise, something is fucked with channel B on the back of the amp, its makes the speakers distort

have switched the speakers from channel to channel and it still only distorts from channel B thus making it not the speakers fault

so ive decided FUCK YOU DJ CITY I WANT A REFUND!!!! and iam going to "try" and get that today, and then hopefully get another amp elsewere

as sad as it is to say, all this getting fucked over is turning me off DJing, but im still hanging in there, i love it, but sometimes its bullshit LOL

if anyone has a good online site for amps link me :)

or if you have any idea's on what i should get let me know, this is what i need to run

2x120W RMS speakers ---|

.........................................| 8ohms for both

2x200W RMS 15" subs ---|

budget is about $600 on amp/amps

thanks in advance

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, the gayness continues.

I've bought everything from StoreDJ. They're a great crowd and I've met with a couple of them during ADJF's launch. They've never let me down and know their shit.

I can also +rep Lightsounds - I've met with them lads (jumpy whos posts on this forum) and they're great. Good sales too. And they hold pretty cool events at their stores lol

behringer is definately better than any cheaper no-name brand.

Also, keep an eye out for second hand gear from a decent brand; you could have better luck with that.

If you want to go with behringer, grab a switchmode amp for your top speakers, such as this (http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/EPX3000.aspx) which also has a built in crossover (or hi pass and low pass filter) which saves you buying one or relying on the subwoofer's built in one. You could run the subs off ch2 and the speakers off ch1 - just make sure you wire it appropriately as you do NOT want to run ANY cheap amp on less than 4 ohms (even if it says 2 ohm stable) for more than half an hour.

On sale at storedj at http://www.storedj.com.au/products/product.php?id=2757 for $569.

pill, how come that amp only has the watt ratings at 2omhs and 4 ohms....no 8ohms?

all 4 speakers are 8ohms....does that mean it cant run them?

and would it put any stress on the amp running the 2 speakers off channel 2 and the 2 subs off channel 1?

because id rather have 1 amp powerful enough to power my whole set, rather then 1 amp for speakers and 1 amp for subs

researching i have found this

"When you connect two 8 ohm speakers together in parallel it brings it down to 4 ohms.. You take the positive wires from 2 diff speakers and connect them to 1 of the positive connections on your amp, then you take the 2 negative wires from your speakers and connect them to 1 negative connection on your amp. And then you do the same for the second channel. So with a 2 channel 4 ohm amp you can hook up 2 sets of 2 8ohm speakers."

is that correct?

fuck i hope so cause that will power all my speakers fine then yes?

pill, how come that amp only has the watt ratings at 2omhs and 4 ohms....no 8ohms?

As you worked out, by adding two 8ohm speakers wired in series, you turn the load into 4 ohms.

because id rather have 1 amp powerful enough to power my whole set, rather then 1 amp for speakers and 1 amp for subs

May I ask why?

I recommend not for these reasons:

1) You can't run your tops in stereo, just mono

2) You'll need extra cables to convert your stereo signal into mono so you don't end up missing out on vocal tracks, guitar tracks etc that are only in one side

3) (The major reason) If your amp dies, you're up shit creek. At least if you have two amps and one dies, you can just ditch the subs and still get sound.

Either way you decide to go, remember you'll still need a crossover.

so better off getting 2 amps?

so its not as simple as wiring the speakers to CH2 and subs to CH1?

That amp has a built in crossover, as do my subs....

before pill linked that amp i was thinking these

SUBs amp: http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/sound/amp ... order.html

Speakers Amp: http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/sound/amp ... order.html

but it is a little more expensive, not sure if i would be better off with the 1 amp now...

from the reviews ive read the behringers seem pretty reliable

so what your saying is, besides the not having a back-up amp reason, all i would be loosing is vocals coming from 1 speakers,instead it will come from both....?

correct?

Some songs use the stereo effect to a greater degree than others.

Put on some Jimi Hendrix for example - some of the songs I have use stereo a lot, and by incorrectly running mono, you would not hear some things at all. By running mono correctly, you'd hear them, but not as intended by the recording artist.

Seems like you could use that amps built in crossover, but personally, I steer clear of Behringer amps, as I haven't heard amazing things of them. I've also heard that their listed ratings are very generous to what the amps can actually handle. The limitation of the amp's inbuilt crossover is you can't fine tune it to what your speakers require, it is a simple high or low pass at a set frequency.

Let me put it this way: if I were going to run my whole PA off one amp, I'd be looking at a QSC or Crown amplifier, possibly Australian Monitor, and it would be a big mother. As I said, its an important piece that you don't want to fail on you!

is too obvious to just say to buy two powered PA's?

If you mean powered speakers, I agree.

They are the easiest way to go if you don't have the technical knowledge of passive PA systems. Even though they may be more expensive (or at least look more expensive, as usually similar speakers + amp + crossover + cable gets you at the same price or more) they would be a better choice until you learn more about PA systems.

Nothing wrong with not knowing much about PA systems - no one is born with that knowledge, but you don't want to waste money burning out equipment when you could use a more user friendly version in the meantime.

what if i was to put 1 sub and 1 speaker into CH1 and 1 and 1 into CH2

or the speakers running off the standard connections and the sub running off 1/4"?

would that retain the stereo?

ahh its all so confusing lol

what if i was to put 1 sub and 1 speaker into CH1 and 1 and 1 into CH2

or the speakers running off the standard connections and the sub running off 1/4"?

would that retain the stereo?

If you had two amps it would, but then you're back to square one.

Bridging in to mono shouldn't be a problem for a mobile DJ - most clubs use array sound systems which eliminate any stereo effect anyway or use bridged systems themselves so you probably won't notice much of a problem. I personally use a stereo set up because I can but on occasions where i've needed to bridge it to mono there's been no real loss of quality, etc, unless you have a groom that is an ex-audio engineer.

The difference between one super-powerful amp and two non-super-powerful amps, apart from the stereo factor, is that you have to carry two! In my opinion, for that set up i would definately go with the epx3000. the epq1200 you linked below honestly will not have the guts to give you punchy bass from those subs you have.

Don't forget that your amp should always be more powerful than your speakers, especially with subwoofers, as they need to have something in reserve or you will cook them out in a few months.

Also, with the wiring: paralell wiring results in two 8 ohm speakers becoming 4 ohms (where you connect two speakers to the same output, pos on pos and neg on neg) and series will add the ohms together, giving you 16 ohms (when you connect one speaker pos to the other speaker's neg and then the remaining pos and negs to the amp).

andythemusician rightfully points out that you will be up shit creek if your amp dies, however, hopefully if that did happen, only one channel would crash and you could use the other channel. I've had that happen to me.

If you do need a hand with making up cables let us know and I might be able to help.

As I will be doing house parties for teenagers like myself I don't think anyone will notice the stereo or mono, the epx3000 is also a cheaper option, and even though the cheaper option got me screwed over I've still gotta stcik with it lol

so if your sure the epx3000 will be perfect for my 4 speakers then I may have to go with it....

well like the banks say... any advice provided is of a general nature and may not take in to account your personal circumstances... but that seems like the most cost effective way from here.

If it's not pwoerful enough, you can always use that amp just for the full ranges as it will easily power those, and then get another sub amp down the track.

LOL it is just all so confusing, sorry if im being thick, but what i dont understand is, why cant i connect 1 sub and 1 speakers to CH1 and 1 sub n 1 speaker to CH2, cause then it would use less power as each channel would have 200W sub + 120W speaker=320W, rather then 2x120w speakers=240 on channel 1 and 2x200W subs=400 watts on channel 2....?

but the epx3000 really is looking to be the best option, and ive searched the RMS and aparently its 500W each channel at 8 ohms

you could set it up like that if your subwoofers have a passive crossover that cuts the bass out for the top speakers, otherwise you will waste power sending the higher frequencies to the top speakers rather than just having the subs handling it.

I dno, i suppose you could try hooking it up that way as well and seeing what you think sounds better, but remember that that way you won't be able to control the subs and the tops seperately, and you might for example have too much or not enough bass.

yes the subs have passive inbult crossover

i have 2 of these: http://www.kam.co.uk/index.php?action=p ... uct_id=293

and 2 of these if u were interested: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... BCATID=605

k well if it will work either way i can mess around and find the best sounding set up, i just thought with 1 sub n 1 speaker needing less watts then the amp would have less stress and more room to breath with more reserve power lol

thanks heaps dude, have tried giving plus rep but it says i cant give more rep then i have lol

You might want to check and see if you can get a seperate crossover for the jaycar speakers, to stop them doing the bass. it will make them last a lot longer haha. the guys at Jaycar will advise you on what capacitor to use, just make sure you tell them that there will be a fair amount of power going to them.

Also that makes me realise, another reason to have the subs on ch1 and speakers on ch2, would be that the speakers won't be able to handle as much power as the subs and you could avoid blowing them by powering them on a seperate level.

i would still want some bass coming from the jaycar speakers as they dont give off a rumble and long bass like subs do, just the initial pop/drop of the bass, and they dont give off that much at that

but yeh actually that does make sense, and with the 1 sub 1 speaker per channel set up when the speakers are at max the sub wont be even close i guess

if 1 channel is running 240 watts (speakers) and channel 2 running 400 (subs) is their any risk of channel 2 having more stress and wearing out fast or anything?

in that situation, the channel with more stress will get hotter, but these amps are designed to be driven in a mono situation (as per the behringer website) with mismatched power usage so i don't think you would expect too much of an issue.

The only other thing you might want to consider is an active crossover that allows you to manually adjust the crossover point between the subs and the speakers.

so what that does it adjust how much low frequencies are being sent to the sub and how much med n high being sent the speakers correct?

but are u saying its worth getting for more overall control on the jaycar speakers?, because with the amps built in crossover and the subs built in crossover they wouldnt really need it would they...?