QSC KW Series - KW152 Awesome Speakers

singler

Hi all, after serious and quite lengthy consideration, I have just taken receival of my brand new QSC KW152's fresh of the plane from the US (and safe to say the first pair in Australia).

I was looking for a replacement pair of active 15"s to replace my tired workhorse EON's for mobile DJ use and after putting just about every speaker in the market to the test I ended up narrowing it down to 2 speakers. I narrowed it down to the QSC KW152 and the JBL PRX615M both of which i was unable to try in person as they have both only just been released in the US. On paper they were very evenly specked but I ended up going with the QSC's based on the performance of the previous K series versus JBL's predecessor PRX500 series.

I fired them up this arvo and was extremley satisfied with my choice, these puppys go hard and sound amazing. The sound is round and the 1000watt RMS class D amps drive these speakers extremely hard without any distortion.

I also like the rear panel which allows you to split the speaker in to 2 channels if required allowing you to run a mic and line in (ipod etc) without the need for a mixer.

Overall very impressed

Some pics here of my set up

theshedsportsbar.yolasite.com

Cheers Brad

They cost me approx $1,400ea plus freight. Keep in mind these will probably retail for around 2.5 to 3k when they are finally released her in Australia. Also bought in a Denon DN-HD2500 to add to my system which cost me around $700 and i got priced up one of these here for $1500 and thats if you can find someone who has one in stock?

Well worth the money tho, they also do a very nice 12" 2 way which i can only imagine will sound better than the previous K12 which already kicked ass.

Cheers

Yes but definately something to be careful of when importing from the US. I am in the electrical game so it's something I am always thinking of. The QSC has a powersupply capable of 110-240V where as some other manufacturers build different speakers for different countries.

I import a fair bit of gear for people and get fairly good rates with FEDEX which are very quick also. For example I ordered these speaker on Friday night and they were here wed morning.

My supplier also has stock of the RCF 522A and 525A also which he is clearing cheap which are also a nice speaker.

• 2 months later...

Did you cop duty and GST tax? My understanding is that you get taxed for imports with values of at least $1000.

I've considered importing some speakers and subs from the US. Some of the better models aren't available here and for the ones that are, the price is a joke. But theres the issue of import tax as well as obvious warranty inconveniences.

In answer to your question Chris, yes you will need to pay 5% duties plus 10% GST on all orders over AUD$1000. However if the goods are made in the USA then you can avoid the duties as Australia has a free trade agreement with the USA.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Cheers

Brad

cheers mate. i've read that the QSC K series are built in china but the KW series are built in Costa Mesa CA.

As far as i'm aware, the K series were also manufactured in the sates. I even saw a youtube vid once where they took you through the factory.