Illegal/Hacked Programs

Jaz

Your Opinion:  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Your Opinion:

• I Never Have And Never Will Use An Illegal Program As Its Wrong
    • I Have Paid For Some And Some Obtained Illegally
    • I Have Never Paid For Software

Let me start off 1st by saying i dont encourage obtaining these programs this way but people simply will and i want to see what the general opinion on it all is

So there are countless DJ and Production programs out there, Serato, VDJ, Traktor, Ableton, Pro Tools, Logic, Sonar, the list goes on

and generally if its a good enough and popular enough program there are countless ways to hack and get these programs for free

Personally hacking, torrents, Cracks, Shared serial codes, Illegal serial codes, Obtaining the Union Program, Rewriting the software, bypassing the copywrite on an instillation Disk etc etc etc....

Do you think this is right though?

in my opinion there are pro's and cons

Con: Developers have spent countless hours on these programs and do deserve credit and payment

Pro: For instance, Ableton Suite $1000 odd, very expensive in some people's eye's, maybe not to others, but i think about it like this,lets say 50,000 people buy it, 50,000p x $1000 = $50,000,000

Do they really need to price it that high when obtaining a figure like that?

i meen i can See why CDJ's and the like are expensive, because its software and also physical product, i meen the cost of materials and production of the CDJ falls into the Price as well as profit

Where as to Software once its done its done, until an update and such is needed

oh you in no way have to admit to having illegal software, just vote :D

thoughts on the subject?

thanks

Trust me, a lot more money, time and man power goes into designing a product such as ableton compared to a CD player, and its worth every penny. When it come down to it no beginner producer is going to fork out lots of money for something they might suck at or end up not liking, unless they're like James Packer or something, and you dont want to keep having to learn a new peice of software everytime they can afford something "better", so what do you do? you have no choice really.

If anyone takes themselves seriously as a producer, they are going to purchase the software oneday, so its win win, if they didn't originally pirate the software a company like ableton would not make the sale.

At the end of the day it comes down to a moral dilema, I wouldn't feel right making money of something that is illegal, which is why I'm putting any money that I make from producing, back into it.

lets not get off topic can you post a thread with your gear somewhere. and we can discuss it there..

last thing on it.. 7k is outrages!

ok so.. i wouldnt pay for VDJ... ive used it before and compared to other software it is really low grade..

Traktor just shits on it.

serato i know it does but personally never used it.

in my opinion theres no way im going to go and pay close to a grand for a program i might spend more then 2 hours on. If i like it ill buy it but not allways thats ust the truth

people are rich enough out there to drop thousands into pokie machines each night so i dont give a fuck about downloading stuff for free of the net its all about what you can afford.

Why are you getting such large monitors? How big is your room? (Why are you wasting money on monitors for DJing too?)

so i could downgrade on these? i was just worried about getting shit speakers the sound would be crap... what would you recommend instead?

my bedroom is 8m X 8m

speakers/amp is like the thing i wasnt too sure about...

mmm my day job i do this and that :P

I've got ESI nEar 8" monitors and a 10" sub, and it's probably over kill.

best advice I could offer is get the 8" fostex monitors, they still work nicely at low volumes.

Anyway, in answer to the OP, I've used ripped versions of just about everything and if it's worthwhile I buy it. Hacked/ cracked software is shithouse and generally isn't worth the hassle.