Which mixer?

Yorick

Hey all,

After years of mixing with Traktor I've finally taken the plunge and bought myself some CDJ-400s. A friend is lending me his Vestax PMC-05 mixer indefinitely but as I mainly mix psy, house etc and the Vestax is more targetted at the scratch market (really sharp dropoff on the upfaders for one) I would like to eventually buy my own.

I thought the DJM-400 would be a perfect accompaniment for the CDJs but then I read that there's no fader between cue and master for the monitor. I'm not sure if that's right because I haven't been able to get my hands on one for a fiddle, but if it's true that's enough of a turn-off to not get it.

What other mixers should I be considering, in the low-mid price bracket? I don't want something crap that I'll want to throw against a wall within 6 months but I can't really afford anything super whizbang.

On a side note, would the Rane TTM57 make a good accompaniment for the CDJ-400s as far as natively controlling Serato? Or would there be a whole bunch of features that were duplicated on both controllers? I haven't really looked into this but it was just an (expensive) option I was (wishfully) thinking about.

Cheers.

Hey mate,

If you mix a lot of house there are other vestax mixers which are more catered towards house (PMC-25 or 250 :D ), that ones is a bit tricky to find though (ask blodders he has one the lucky bastard).

I own an Ecler Nuo 3 which I find good for mixing. Best advice would be go to a store and try out a number of the mixers to see which one caters to your needs (and fits your price bracket).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

low-mid, I recommend the dxm06. good value at that range.

the ttm57 is a great mixer but restrictive as the serato box is built in so you can't use your software with any other mixer. better off getting the stand along serato that'll work with any mixer.

maybe a bit more on the price range, low-mid price and the 57 don't seem in the same ball park

korg zero4, i just bought one of these suckers there pretty good you can change most paramaters & curve with the up faders i'm pretty sure...

it has 2 fire wire input which i think is ment to work with serato so you dont need the box? but i dont use serato so i;m not too sure. it maybe a bit expensive. i think the effects are great but they really differ from your standard pioneer.

other considerations i would say are

-Korg KM-202 DJ Mixer with Integrated KAOSS PAD (2 channel $660)

-Korg KM-402 DJ Mixer with Integrated KAOSS PAD (4 channel $900)

- Behringer DDM4000 Digital DJ Mixer (4 channel $600)

- Pioneer DJM400 Professional DJ Mixer (2 channel $1050)

- Vestax VMC004FX (4 Channel $1000 people rate this as world standard dj mixer)

there my picks... although i think the DJM400 is over priced at the moment cos of the dollar. Please do check them out for yourself though give them a test out in store. price's take from www.storedj.com

sorry to say tommy if hes looking at the 57 price range. dont bother with much form that list

Vestax Vmc is ok.. (the VMC serries are a little toyish PCV andPMC serries are a lot better but there cueing is odd and a little clunky but vestax make some of the nicest Eq's

see my thread about the PMC250

http://www.ausdjforums.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=17

The zero 4 has some wicked features but i would be looking at:

The Rane Empath $1599 (personally the rotaty edition but they make a linear fader version too) It is very highly regarded, no effects

Xone 42 $1599 are all beautiful mixers smooth, warm sounding with feture packed not gizmo packed but the Fx loop on the 92 is poorly interrogated. BUT THAT FILTER mmmm only has one effect but what else do you need when it sounds sooo good

Elcer, Nuo 4 $1395

ive played on a EVo 4 and apart form wobbly knobs OMG the effects are well thought out and it is a dream to mix on. unfortiunatly they are missing on the nuo. but the nuo does have a midi and the same base mixer.

as for pioneer:

they are nothing special but are stock standard. there effects are plentiful but control over them is limited. i find they do thejob but i really dont go gaga over them.

this is my opinion but saying that i own a mixer i bought second had for $500 and i love the thing to death due to the fact that it doesn't have effects or anything fancy its is just simple and clean and sounds great.

OLD SCHOOL VESTAX FOR THE WIN

for a bit of background

ive own:

Gemini 676ps

Vestax PMC 175

Xone 32

PMC 250

as for what i've used, the list is vast and varried. form busted up numarks...(could have been new :P ) to xone 92s and anything in between

my mistake look i saw him talking about the rane 57

low to mid mmm, i'd tend to go second hand , less channels or gimics than down grade the over all quality of the mixer.

defiantly look in to second hand gear

and the same rules apply.

Xones are gold - 32 is a nice little mixer though the gains where on the back :S

old school House vestax's cueing can be funny but they are built proof and are really nice to mix on

nuo 2-3 have got great reviews