DJ apps for the IPhone or Ipad...ADJF member reviews

SourceRaver

OK...This thread is for the ADJF folks who have road tested any DJ related apps on an IPhone or IPad.

I’ll get the ball rolling with ‘Touch Dj’

Summary: Touch Dj allows you to mix two tracks much like a regular DJ set up. Songs can be beat matched using visual cues on the screen and a stereo audio signal is sent via the headphone jack to an amplifier. Or with a special splitter cable, a mono output signal can be sent to an amplifier and another mono signal sent to your headphones (i.e. split cue function). The app costs around $24 and is available from the I-tunes app store.

PROS

Pretty much all the features of a CDJ/mixer combination including:

1) Wave form display and position marker

2) Time and time remaining indicator

3) Variable pitch control (in increments as low as 0.01 percent with each touch)

4) Adjustable cross fader

5) Effects and sample option

6) Can group songs into ‘boxes’

7) Three band EQ for each deck with individual sliders

8 ) Accurate beat counter for pre pitching tracks

CONS

1) No pitch slider. Each change in pitch requires a touch that changes the amount by one of three predetermined amounts – Some songs just won’t match perfectly

2) The split cue function only sends a mono signal to the amp.

3) The screen gets quite crowded when various controls are open

4) The ‘visual mixing’ cues appear really quickly and it’s difficult to match the beat.

CONCLUSION

In terms of bang for your buck, this software is pretty good value. However, as a standalone Dj set up, the visual mixing system doesn’t really cut it and IPhones won’t be replacing CDJs anytime soon. If your patient or have a mixing style that involves a lot of cutting from track to track, then this app may be for you.

However...

This app would be perfct as a backup for any Dj who uses a dodgy laptop and/or DVS system! The IPhone can be plugged straight into a mixer and it has the flexibility to quickly choose a track and have it playing within seconds. If you need more time, then it also allows you to do a simple mix and bring in another track of your choosing.

I would also like to find someone else who has the app so that we can plug two IPhones into a mixer and go back to back using the mixers cue function. It would also be interesting to see how the app goes up against a CDJ connected to the same mixer.

All up I give it an 8/10

Krafty Kuts app

I'm not going to bother with pros and cons for this one, it pretty much speaks for itself. It's an app that has a about 7 pages (12 per page) of various samples and sounds including bass drops, laser sounds and some vocals.

I rate it very highly, cause it could definately add something to your sets for around $5 (from memory).

I guess the only improvement they could make is to be able to add your own samples.

4 stars