TRAKTOR N/OR SERATO

mikew598

ok untill the others jump on this thread ill do my best but they will help more then i can

This thread has been covered before but im sure we can do it again :P

now, most will say if you scratch, use serato, if you just general mix with effects n the such, use traktor

as for the tempo im guessing the pitch could go as low as the software lets you and not limited by the CDJ's +6 limit etc etc

now, most will say if you scratch, use serato, if you just general mix with effects n the such, use traktor

i dont know man, qbert the god of scratch says traktor. craze the most winningest turntablist says traktor.

so i think its more a matter of preference.

in regards to OP. what cdj's do you have? if they can send MIDI signals then yes traktor will work (i dont know serato, but plenty of people here use it so im sure they can let you know). but why exactly do you want to do that if the CDJ can control the pitch??

pitch slider works with time code, yes (traktor scratch, not traktor)

if you're using normal traktor, then you need some sort of midi control to assign to the pitch slider on each deck.

If you get traktor, I strongly advise that you invest in a kontrol X1, they are worth every cent.

Is it possible to download sample programs of each to try out?

you can download demo's as the trial of the software but they are never midi capable so no controllers can connect

so your only other option is to download the naughty version if you want to try before you buy.....but yeh thats a touchy subject...:P

you can download demo's as the trial of the software but they are never midi capable so no controllers can connect

so your only other option is to download the naughty version if you want to try before you buy.....but yeh thats a touchy subject...:P

not true

midi works with traktor demo and virtual dj

never tried serato, you need the box right?

am i right in saying you can only control the pitch by have the software on midi mode ie using the pitch fader on the cdj or you can use the dial on the screen its either one or the other right? i know when you move the pitch fader in serato the temp wiill change on the screen but the bpm will never be displayed on the cdj

not true

midi works with traktor demo and virtual dj

never tried serato, you need the box right?

for real? i thought demo's didnt alow midi cause its a trial....

am i right in saying you can only control the pitch by have the software on midi mode ie using the pitch fader on the cdj or you can use the dial on the screen its either one or the other right? i know when you move the pitch fader in serato the temp wiill change on the screen but the bpm will never be displayed on the cdj

hey you plan on using traktor or time code with traktor scratch?

if the latter, you would be using the pitch control on your cdj's as normal. while doing this you could actually technically still adjust the pitch in traktor (referred to as the internal pitch/tempo), but i guess thats why i was asking why would you do that. and yes if you were to adjust the pitch internally the cdj wont show the bpm.

actually now that i think about it do the cdj's show the bpm when using the timecodes???

on the other hand if what you are wanting to do is use the cdj's just as controllers for traktor, then you can set it up so the pitch controls control the internal pitch.

i own serato so ill share my knowledge of it but i no nothing bout tracktor lol no bpm comes up on cdj's in serato as the cdj only hears the control single (high pitch constant noise) but comes up on the laptop. u can download serato free but no good without the serato box.serato crates and waveform have worked well for me and the cue points u can set have REALLY helped to fine tune mixes.using cdj's on serato can be the same as using normal cd's if u use ABS mode.u can use the cue button and the song on the laptop follows the time on the cdj unlike REL mode.The pitch slider works the same also so if ur on +/- 6 it will only move like its on +/- 6 but if u make it +/- 10 it will move further etc. if u got more questions fire away and ill try my best :)

i posted an article about serato vs traktor give it a read

http://www.ausdjforums.com/modules.php? ... pic&t=2937

pretty much they are the same, traktor seems to be better if you wanna do mashups on the fly and have the added feature of beatlock which would come in handy if you are pumpin 3 tracks at once. serato is just the bomb(im biased) they both work the same like seriously they do, but its just like the pc mac debate i spose id say serato cause its cheaper maybey you can get your hands on an instore model to compare

pretty much they are the same, traktor seems to be better if you wanna do mashups on the fly and have the added feature of beatlock

just to be clear (and prob the millionth time ive posted it) because even people who own it didnt know (just check NI forum for the number of times people start the thread beatlock not working), you cant use beatlock if you intend on using timecode.

and another thing which seems to mislead people is you cant actually just buy traktor get your songs and voila by pressing beat match they will all mix perfctly. you actually have to sit there and beat grid your songs (i.e create lines to the beat so the program knows where the beats are in the song and hence be able to beatmatch). while tedious of course once done then you can use the infamous beatmatch (unless you are using timecode then you cant..)