How much to charge!

beetlebabeetle

I'm doing my first gig this weekend at $150. It is a friend's 16th and since its my first i didn't change too much :) its going from 7:30 - 12 so i recon thats aight

Sounds good, I did my first gig (18th house party last weekend). Told the birthday girl $1-200 per party and that's mostly for me to hire some decent speakers. Don't really want to purchase $800 speakers if I'm just going to keep DJ'in as a hobby at home when I've got perfectly good monitors :)

• 1 month later...

if you're charging $200 a gig, then thats all you'll be worth. and people that book you in the future will say hey you did my friends party for $200.

if moby disc are charging $400 then thats the min you newbies should charge, but people are not going to take you serious if you dont charge much. People are always out to get a bargain.

You should also ask yourself how much money you've invested in your equipment & time.

plus ongoing cost CD's, fuel to the gig, repairs etc etc

• 3 months later...

$70 per hour this year and going to $80 an hour next year. plus travel if over 25km

Minimum charge on Saturday Night 4 hours.

If your only using speakers worth $800 maybe you should only be charging $200 per night. Quality of speakers is everything. There is nothing worse than going to a function and listening to a DJ overdriving his cheap active 12inch and horn speakers. Have you actually listened to the sound the $800 speakers puts out?

$70 per hour this year and going to $80 an hour next year. plus travel if over 25km

If your only using speakers worth $800 maybe you should only be charging $200 per night. Quality of speakers is everything. There is nothing worse than going to a function and listening to a DJ overdriving his cheap active 12inch and horn speakers. Have you actually listened to the sound the $800 speakers puts out?

What about $600 speakers (pair) + $600 subwoofer?

Use to charge 300 for private gigs now its more 350-400 depending on a few things.

To the guys that are charging 200 bucks - this is the reason people don't wanna pay big bucks anymore, you're essentially undercutting everyone and killing the industry slowly.

What about $600 speakers (pair) + $600 subwoofer?

On a positive note, its good to see you are using a subwoofer. Most don't.

In your bedroom turn those $600 a pair speakers and your $600 subwoofer up flatout, the same volume as you would be playing at the end of a night. Then go and hire a good set of speakers and do the same thing, then you will understand.

When you are using these cheap speakers at a function, make an effort 2 to 3 times a night to go to where the crowd is at the front and the back of the room and listen to your speakers.

To be honest, ever since I've got the sub, even in large halls I've never had to turn the system over 1/2. I cut most of the bass from the tops so they don't distort easily. Before the sub they were struggling as they were being pushed to do a job they weren't designed for. Overall I think I'm getting a more efficient result with 600sprakers600sub rather than a pair of 1200 15 inch spreader trying to cover whole frequency spectrum.

To be honest, ever since I've got the sub, even in large halls I've never had to turn the system over 1/2. I cut most of the bass from the tops so they don't distort easily. Before the sub they were struggling as they were being pushed to do a job they weren't designed for. Overall I think I'm getting a more efficient result with 600speakers600sub rather than a pair of 1200 15 inch spreader trying to cover whole frequency spectrum.

Perfect statement. If only more people thought about subs like you do.

If you get an external crossover you should be able to drop out the lower bass frequencies from your tops and keep only the mid bass.

I am assuming your active sub has crossovers built into it to keep the mid base out of the sub.

Yes and know. It does. But the way I run it is

R -> sub -> top

L -> top

I could run both through the sub, but i'd need to purchase more cables etc.

So yes it does cut out the bass on the right top. But I also cut it out using the eqs on each of the tops.

Putting the thread back on track. As a general rule. You shouldn't charge less than 10% of your gears worth. Discuss.

• 9 months later...

I am one of those that wont do gigs for less than $660 for no brainer functions, $1300 plus for weddings and $1000 for corporate.

We provide a service not just mixing some tunes. There is an art to mixing and I appreciate that but people that have weddings dont care about the mix they just want the dance floor full if that means playing ABBA I will play it or even Calvin Harris whatever it takes.

Dont be so cheap and provide quality service.

I am one of those that wont do gigs for less than $660 for no brainer functions, $1300 plus for weddings and $1000 for corporate.

We provide a service not just mixing some tunes. There is an art to mixing and I appreciate that but people that have weddings dont care about the mix they just want the dance floor full if that means playing ABBA I will play it or even Calvin Harris whatever it takes.

I understand what you mean by the "whatever it takes" approach. May I ask, how do you justify that cost to new clients, or is it all word of mouth/recommendations?

Many variables for pay, but generally mine is as follows:

5 hours Saturday - $400 plus $50 per half hour after that

5 hours other nights - $350 plus $50 per half hour after that

Generally charge a little more in November/December as these are the busiest months.

Also charge extra for weddings, as correspondence and music requests prior to the event take time.

Charge extra for gigs in woop woop

Charge extra if required to set up more than 1 hour prior to event.

I always mention that my price is lower than the standard cost, and that I welcome tips if it is not the best experience you could hope for. Very seldom do i not get an extra 50

• 1 month later...

We charge between $350-$2k depending on the gig.

the difference in clients that you get at $250 compared to $450 is night and day, the $450 parties are always great and never have an issue with payment etc.

Everyone has to start out somewhere, but dont price yourself too low otherwise you will only get crappy gigs and no respect from your customers.

• 1 month later...

Have to agree with this from djpetered.

IMO most mobile gigs don't really care too much about a perfect mix.

Go to a club for that.

The main thing is you have a good variety of music and I always try to throw in some unexpected tracks that they may not have heard for a while or wouldn't expect me to carry. Always try to play what's on the charts but then add your own flavour to make sure you don't sound like every other DJ.

I charge 490 for a 5 hr show

another $150 if I mc a wedding ( I make up a full wedding rundown for them via email, this takes a little time but it's necessary, I think I have already mentioned it a few times...don't fuck up someones wedding, they don't like it. lol.)

Think about what they get:

• A person there for 5 hrs

• A complete light and sound show

• A comprehensive list of music

• A pro MC if required (An MC can charge many 100's $ alone)

• You have to load in and out

• A professional who will make or break the event

We deserve what we are paid.

Don't undersell yourself.

Once you do a few shows make sure you get some testimonials if you think the night went off.

Whack them on your website and if customers are hesitant on the phone when you mention the price tell them they may find cheaper but why risk not having a professional. Tell them you will make the night and you have great testimonials if they would like to check them out on your website.

• 3 months later...

Are you buying your music legally? and have you got PPCA or if you are producing do you have APRA?

As a mobile DJ you need public liability and if you want to work at Crown or place like that you need to have leads tested and tagged.

You then need to travel to the venue you work at so by the time you calculate the cost of the gig to you plus an hourly rate the minimal amount should be $450 for a party of 5 hours.

I have 30 years experience in the industry an shave earn my stripes club and mobile so charge no less than $880 for a gig or wedding in excess of $1300

Don't get it wrong I do a LOT for that money but I hope this helps some people get an idea of what to charge.

No need to be cheap

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I charge $350 for a 5 hour set (I allow for about 6.5 hours total with setup and pack away)

$75 per hour after

Usually throw a bit more on if out in whoop whoop.

One thing that works for me is referral work for a photographer. I know a photographer who slings me a $50 for every referral so I make the suggestion to every client. probably 1 in 4 go for it.

• 2 years later...

Geez there is a lot of competition nowadays. I remember in the early 2000s entry rate was around $50ph for clubs gigs. Not sure about mobile back then. Now 80ph plus you're bringing all you own gear?!!  I guess you don't have to vinyl anymore at $18 per 12 inch.  

• 2 months later...