Kontrol s4 vs Allen and Heath xone DX

awesome88

Hey Guys,

I just rang djwarehouse about the availability of the new Traktor Kontrol s4, and they said they don't even know when any more are coming in.

they did suggest the Allen and Heath Xone DX controll as another option, as i'm pretty sure i'm going to go the digial route.

obviously the Allen and Heath is more expensive, but i don't really know too much about controllers, so any help would be great.

the Xone comes with serato itch and the kontrol comes with traktor.

would someone who has a bit more knowledge on this be able to have a look at them and suggest which would be better? i have linked them both below. Thanks :)

http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/allen-and ... roler.html

http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/traktor-k ... ystem.html

Edit: the xone is also down from about $2000 to about $1400, so price isn't too much of an issue, would just rather get the better one.

TSP is an acronym for Traktor Scratch Pro.

The X1 is the shortned name for Traktor Kontrol X1, a midi controller much like the Allen & Heath Xone-1D.

thanks, i really don't have any experience with midi controllers or even serato/traktor.... only cdjs and cd decks so this is an area i don't really know much about... but think it's what i want to move into.

hey mate. any reason why you are looking at leaving using cd players? i think thats what will decide what you should be looking for, and not just buying something because its new.

traktor scratch and serato are both disc emulation systems which allow you to play mp3's using the software and whatever decks you already have. traktor pro will allow you to do it all from a computer or with a controller.

now controllers are nothing more than midi senders and range from your basic button types (the dice controllers and lpd8) to fancy all in ones like you have shown above, and to ones in between like digital midi mixers or mpd style (buttons and knobs). so these contollers send commands to software to control them.

so if its because you want to use mp3's or want the ability to have 4 decks, then yes i also suggest tsp.

if you are wanting to get effects, maybe just upgrade your mixer. because i know that the RMP1's already have a looping feature so i assume you arent looking for that.

if its because you want portability and not wanting to lug cd players, then yes consider an all-in-one controller.

the options are endless but think about what exactly you want to do.

sorry mate, I'm used to throwing terms like tsp and x1 around.

The reason I mention scratch pro and the kontrol x1 is because they will integrate with your existing system, and it will save you a whole bunch of money. Not only that, you'd be able to integrate it with any club system easily too.

just a thought.

cool, thanks for all the suggestion.

the reason i started looking at these all in one controllers was for a few reasons.

1. my current decks can't use flash/external hard drives, and i often have problems with burnt mp3 cds on them for some reason

2. I have a crappy behringer djx-750 mixer, which the effects are terrible lol

3. I like the idea of being able to organise all the music etc and see it on the screen. I've been meaning to get a laptop anyway.

4. it seems a lot cheaper to buy an all in one controller that give you a lot more features etc that buying cdj's.

5. portability - i've moved my gear around a few times and it was such a pain in the arse haha

so basically that was my reasoning behind it. Also i liked how on Kontrol S4 you could do more than just mix songs together e.g. make samples. loops etc and have them on the sample decks to put into your mixes to keep it a bit more interesting and versitile.

Also to record anything i'll need a laptop or something anyway.

like i said, i don't know too much outside of cdj's so all the help is really appreciated.

awesome

for all of yer stuff above you except portability you can get away with traktor scratch pro at a minimum.

i.e.

1. thru tsp and having a hard drive plugged into your laptop you can access all yer songs

2. you can use the effects on tsp

3. all songs selected from screen

4. cheaper than a controller

and you can play out samples thru deck c or d.

and you can record yourself.

and if you have anymore spare change get a mixer with midi capabilities, then you can control tsp's effects and setoff tsp's loops straight from the mixer. there are some cheaper ones around from reloop and korg. or keep your current mixer and buy a dedicated controller for your effects and sample launching. be it the kpntrol x1, or i have an akai mpd24, and then there are cheaper ones from akai and korg.

ok cool so i think i have this now.

if i buy TSP and the X1... it's basically like buying the s4, except my decks now are like the jog wheels on the Kontrol s4 and the X1 is like the rest of the controller on the S4 in terms of working with the software? except it'll be cheaper?

Was in StoreDJ today, they have plenty of s4 in stock if you had your mind set on it, + they will price match if DJwarehouse have it cheaper

cool, thanks. i think they actually had it cheaper than djwarehouse anyway.

i was mainly looking at it because it seems so easy with a lot of features and so mobile, so it seemed like a good option.

but like i said, all the advice is good because i don't know too many other options, so this seemed the best.

have a google around for vids and write ups.

the S4 is an all-in-one interface with its own version of traktor. so looking from screen to console is seamless. so its more than just being cheaper.

X1 is also meant to be like that for TSP. but again this is only if you use the out of the box mapping. ie. how you map your controller is entirely up to you. which is why there are cheaper controller options like the lpd8 which will give you everything the kontrol x1 gives you.

not really an advantage....

TSP, decks, mixer, and a controller: can do 4 deck mixing of mp3's with effects

S4, plus decks for timecode: can do 4 deck mixing of mp3's with effects

in essence you are making option 1 and option 2 the same except you have a much more expensive controller and eliminate the mixer.

of course there is still the advantage of portability, because you can choose not to bring decks and just lug the S4. so other than this it won't actually have any advantage in terms of djing.

Was in StoreDJ today, they have plenty of s4 in stock if you had your mind set on it, + they will price match if DJwarehouse have it cheaper

Are you sure they had heaps of stock? I am waiting on list for shipment to come in and i know that is the case for Melbourne and Sydney stores so how many units do they have in bris?

haha, you know my iphone does this from time to time fuckers!

just click once and let it load man or get on the ritolin :P

ha ha. you know whats funny djaz, heaps of us post of iphones......

but yeah sometimes it does hang. i just hit stop then hit submit, but have never had a dbl post. return it mann.