$1000 +|- to spend..

houseparty

Hi all,

I'm not a DJ, I'm just a guy wanting a decent set of speakers. Might have the occasional house party with maybe as low as 20 people all the way up to 100 people.

I have a thousand to spend I can go more or less. I'm looking for some decent quality speakers that should last me a while since I wont be using them every weekend.

I play all sorts of music and it would be cool if I could get some bass and play some dubstep. So maybe I'll need to buy a sub.

I would prefer to get powered speakers and if I can get a pair for speakers for a grand and than later on buy a sud that would be cool too.

I live in brisbane.

Cheers,

houseparty

Thanks mate,

Whats the massive difference.. other than price in the B212D and the B210D. There is a $270 price difference in them.

basically one is a 10 inch 200w speaker, the other is a 12inch 550w speaker.

i.e. the more expensive is more powerful and a bigger speaker, which will give you louder with more bass. Of course there is a lot more to speakers than that but you get what i mean (same brand, same-ish model etc)

i'd suggest getting an idea of which ones you have in mind, then going in and having a listen to both. You might decide you don't need the 12" for what you want to do with them.

Would 2x B210D and the JBL JRX118S 18" Compact Subwoofer be a good setup?

Why the JBL JRX118S 18" Compact Subwoofer?

I should also mention, I have nothing, as in I will need to buy all the cables to hook them up as well.

Thanks awesome88 Rep+

i picked that sub just because it was the cheapest on the site so it fit in your price range with the other speakers and JBL usually have a good name.

yeh thats a pretty good set up, if it were me id drop the sub to a cheaper brand and upgrade the behringers to 15" as they will pack waaaaaaaay more bass then the 10" and would probly make up for the difference in sub brand/price anyway...just my opinion

and as for hooking up straight from a laptop, you may need a cheap soundcard or AUX to RCA multi output box that will run like this

laptop master out (AUX) to the box then that will run a left and a right and a 3rd set of RCA (red n white audio leads) to the sub if you ended up getting 1

Well, if I went with the 15 inches for $549, I wont be getting a sub for a while.

If I just had 2 B215D, would that still be OK for maybe 50 people? When I get some more cash I could go and get a decent sub and it would be a good setup.

But also back to the original.. agh it's always changing, just add money and you'll get what ever you want lol. Anyway if I had;

2x Behringer B210D and,

1x JBL JRX118S 18" Compact Subwoofer

Would this set up be better than just 2x B215D's? Or would 2x B215D's still be 'acceptable' and then once it was with a sub it would be waaaaayyyyy better than 10inches?

I don't want to spend a half arsed amount and than have to upgrade later...

Remember I'm not a DJ doing gigs all the time, will just have these at home and use them every now and then.

your main point was that you dont want to have to upgrade, if you get the 10" model you will definitely want to upgrade...let me put it this way, clubs dont use 10" for a reason, 15's are just the way to go

in all honesty look at it this way, 2x10" speakers will have little bass and average mids n highs + 18" sub with massive bass (sub may drown out the mids a bit from the other speakers)

vs 2x15" with all round good bass, mids n highs

Most importantly, that sub that was linked is passive, meaning it does not have a built in amp and will need an external 1 to power it, and a semi powerful 1 at that (not cheap)

no worries

yeh that thing should pump, ignore the 1400 watt though, that would be max wattage (the point of watts it can take before it implodes) when your looking for speakers always look for Watts RMS (the amount of watts a speaker can run at all day every day) couldnt see RMS in the description though so you may have to ring them to find that out...or google it

and in my opinion, behringer is a great brand without having to sell your car to afford it :)

Thanks well I know nothing about audio, but problem with Behringer is that some people love and them some hate them, like this person (different forum)

Well i'm in professional audio, and refuse to use any behringer product, as their reliability and sonic quality are amoungst the worst. Its disposable gear, if something went wrong with it you would be better off buying a new one than even paying someone to open it and have a look.

Like if you guys think this stuff is good, I will definitively be going to the store and checking it out. I'd like this stuff to last me for a while really.

Thanks well I know nothing about audio, but problem with Behringer is that some people love and them some hate them, like this person (different forum)
Well i'm in professional audio, and refuse to use any behringer product, as their reliability and sonic quality are amoungst the worst. Its disposable gear, if something went wrong with it you would be better off buying a new one than even paying someone to open it and have a look.

Like if you guys think this stuff is good, I will definitively be going to the store and checking it out. I'd like this stuff to last me for a while really.

yeh but you get those people with every brand...i meen Behringer speakers arent JBL's or Mackie's but there also not the price of those brand either, they wouldnt be sold in respectable DJ stores if they didnt live up to what they should...

Yep, so if you had a choice...

http://www.storedj.com.au/products/MAC-PK-THUMP15A] - Mackie Thump TH15A

http://www.storedj.com.au/products/BEH-B215D - Behringer B215D Powered 15"

it's easy to keep thinking you'll add on a bit more, then a bit more, then a bit more, and in the end you are way over budget.

I say go into store dj, listen to both, and decide from there. As long as you have a good idea of what you want, you will be able to tell if it's worth it for you to spend the extra money or not.

Ok, thanks fellas, you have been a great help.

it's easy to keep thinking you'll add on a bit more, then a bit more, then a bit more, and in the end you are way over budget.

Haha, yea, your right, I just can't help myself lol.

I'll check out storedj when I can and check them both out.

Cheers.