New laptop for dedicated DJ usage

RhemyD

Hey all

I'm contemplating purchasing a new Laptop to replace my aging DJ Machine Lappy. I wondering what people would suggest as the benchmark config to have inorder to run programs like Abelton, VDJ, Reason etc.

And the age old question do I continue along and get a PC or do I get a Mac?

Cheers,

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is gonna get epic....

see...MAC vs PC thread

Honestly, i am using a beefy HP setup, absolutely Dumbed down windows, I use Ableton to write and play live, it goes without issue, i am on top of every process within my unit tho... I have been looking into Mac

One thing, Macs build (not the pretty shite) has a unique feature within that completely stops all vibration. This is why alot of producers will have Macs for recording etc. My HP has had issues with hum and vibration (since fixed by a hack job to remove the earth on my power cord) but i record alot of live instruments and very odd samples, and when you get deep into the audio for this, it becomes noticable... But straight live performance should be through a nice ext sound card anyway, so that will buffer alot of it.

Honestly, you just want as much power/ram/HDD as you can get for your $$$

So that leaves you searching

• 5 months later...

As an experienced producer, I would have to say a MAC, and im trying to be as honest as possible here.

I use a pc and omfg it gives me nightmares: screen stops working, mouse stops working, ableton crashes, two different drivers for my keyboard clash, had to buy a firewire port then fuck around with my interface drivers.

MAC: pretty much plug and play, no exageration.

For a purely music laptop, go a MAC imo

window 7 is your issue. ha ha

yeah i got a 4 yr old asus on XP. kills it.

even when it was 2.5 yrs old it was benchmarking better than the mac book pros that were coming out at that time. and it was only because i bought the best out there (that i could afford), which is what i always say to do when it comes to laptops. because now i have a machine that still runs great which will easily go me another year or two easy before i will need to upgrade

MMM expensive i know but totally worth it. Specially for what i do.... im always on it either djing stuff or gaming (the main reason i actually got it) or just surfin the net, and dont remind meee about them being undercover dells lol....they used to be cooler when they werent... but there still nice :)

btw DJaz is your name meant to mean DJ az or DJ daz but just joined? :)

Yeh i would deffs get 1 for gaming but i use consoles more then PC so not needed for me....

yeh they were cooler then, looked better as well, but Dell helped them go into mass mass production at least

yeh its Pronounced like Dee Jaz....Dont worry everyone gets it wrong....working on changing it :P