PIONEER DJM900 NEXUS vs TRAKTOR KONTROL S4

Fail

Can i connect my 2x cdj 400s and also have another 2 channels going into the DJM900 from a program like Virtual dj or traktor? So ultimately i have 4 channels to play with?

I had a feel of the Kontrol s4 at JB-HIFI and it just felt like cheap plastic crap, even the crossfaders on my DJM 400 feel better than that.

Regardless, I am looking at setting up my first home studio soon and i feel this is going to be a better ALL-ROUND piece of equipment to assist with my DJ side and Producing Side

Any thoughts or opinions will be greatly appreciated guys :thumright:

Well, you just said it:

I had a feel of the Kontrol s4 at JB-HIFI and it just felt like cheap plastic crap

I highly disagree with it but yeh

If you are looking at something a little sturdier, perhaps look at the Dennon MC6000 as it can be used as a stand alone mixer as well.

One thing I don't understand is if you where planning to go with a mixer and use 4 decks, how are you going to control them?

Clicking play isn't a very good option, also im not even sure why you need 4 decks to begin with. Sure it's (Nice) but if your just mixing there's no point.

To sum it all up, if you want to use a mixer, id wait for the djm 850, as the 900 is quite a blow to the pocket.

If you want a controller for the mixer, grab the mc6000, as it can be used without a computer.

However personally id just grab an x1 and use that with your 400, as it is a good setup already.

^have to disagree with sol. There is so many reasons I could think of to have 4 deck control. Besides that isn't the thread topic, he was asking how it can be achieved, not why he shouldn't do it.

This could be achieved by practically any 4 deck mixer (eg djm 700, 800, 900), running your cdjs to 2 channels, then using a traktor soundcard to run the other two channels into it.

You could then use a basic midi controller (eg traktor x1) to control these two decks.

Another possibility is getting traktor scratch with an audio 8/10 and running all 4 decks through your computer. That gives you traktor features (hotcues fx loops etc.) over all 4 decks.

Hope this makes sense as I'm a bit tired writing this lol. Any q's reply back and I'll explain myself clearer :)

^have to disagree with sol. There is so many reasons I could think of to have 4 deck control. Besides that isn't the thread topic, he was asking how it can be achieved, not why he shouldn't do it.

This could be achieved by practically any 4 deck mixer (eg djm 700, 800, 900), running your cdjs to 2 channels, then using a traktor soundcard to run the other two channels into it.

You could then use a basic midi controller (eg traktor x1) to control these two decks.

Another possibility is getting traktor scratch with an audio 8/10 and running all 4 decks through your computer. That gives you traktor features (hotcues fx loops etc.) over all 4 decks.

Hope this makes sense as I'm a bit tired writing this lol. Any q's reply back and I'll explain myself clearer :)

you do realise that the nexus 900 is traktor certified and midi enabled right?

in answer to the OP:

connect your CDJ's to chan 1 & 2 and set the djm900 to line in

connect the mixer to the laptop (USB) and route deck A to chan 3 and deck B to chan 4

you can also route all 4 decks to the mixer, and just flick each chanel to USB if you like, even the ones with CDJs plugged in, and just flick the cdj chanels back to line when you want to use CDs.

make sense?

also, look at the DNX1600.... it does the same thing

That makes Even more sense! The reason why i was looking at the Kontrol S4 is because i simply cant afford the New Mixer with 2x New cdjs to get that 4 channel mix action i want...Along with other things on my list i require for my studio...Instead of another 2 cdjs i will use virtual dj or traktor and have a solid 4 channel mixer that doesn't feel cheap like the Kontrol s4

Thanks again guys!

That makes Even more sense! The reason why i was looking at the Kontrol S4 is because i simply cant afford the New Mixer with 2x New cdjs to get that 4 channel mix action i want...Along with other things on my list i require for my studio...Instead of another 2 cdjs i will use virtual dj or traktor and have a solid 4 channel mixer that doesn't feel cheap like the Kontrol s4

Thanks again guys!

the poor man's nexus is the dnx1600... they are solid as fuck, traktor certified and are better optioned for midi.

i just checked the storeDJ site and the dnx1600 is just over $1k..... more than $1k cheaper than the djm900!!!!!!! 8O8O8O