Advice on gear for beginner

Hi all

Finally got the $$ together to get some gear, have been wanting to for quite awhile. Been lurking these forums and a few others over last week or 2 trying to decide what to get. I was looking at the CDJ 350's but have seen that alot of people dont liek the smaller platter? Would need something able to play mp3s as pretty much my whole library is mp3, unless there is a way to convert to .wav and keep quality. I was also looking at 2nd hand CDJ 1000mk3's, any input on those? Looking to spend around 1800 but need to include a mixer in that aswell. Not too sure on mixer prices or what I should be looking for.

Thanks!

CDJ 1000s are overpriced used IMO

THIS

For an extra $0 to $200 you can get 900's, which have far more features.

You could even get 850's for even cheaper than that, and 800's again even cheaper if you want a large platter.

A benefit of second hand equipment (Especially pioneer) is that it holds it's value REALLY well, (E.g. cdj 1000 mk3's)

So that way if you decide you don't like it, at the most you might loose $100 when selling it all off again.

As for audio quality, 320kbs mp3 is fine, and sounds good on a club system.

You could always try and step up to the higher quality's to give yourself an edge over the competition in some way.

Use AIFF instead of wave though, as it is the same quality and allows you to store ID3 tags such as names, artists and cover art.

I would also have to recommend you get a program called mixed in key, I can honestly say that it has made me a better dj, and made it alot funner by taking out the trial and error of track selection.

Good luck in your choice man!

(P.s. second hand 850's are amazing value for money if you get a pair in good nick second hand)

Edit: Just saw your bit about a mixer, the djm 400's and 350's are very nice, The only two main effect you need to have IMO is a manual filter and a echo.

Manual filter is amazing at letting you get really smooth fade out's for transitions, however this only seems to be standard on the djm 700+ mixers, (Except the djm 250, but that doesn't have echo, you could always sacrifice it)

One option is just to get your nice cdj's then get a cheapie newmark mixer, and save 1k for a djm 800, which are AMAZING mixers, and have everything you could possibly want.

Thanks for the replies, was originally looking at 350s and starting to lean that way again. 850s and 900s abit out of my price range I think, whats a reasonable price for 1000mk3s? Seeing alot of them on ebay and near me on gumtree.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mitchelton/dj-gear-lighting/2x-cdj-1000mk3-dnx-1500-road-case-phone-only-0410-564-409/1001360075

Whats that deal like? Could probably talk him down abit. Its pretty much the price I was looking to pay, and has a roadcase. Unsure of what that mixer is like though.

mmm that deal is ok dude, the mixer is pretty standard, with 1000's being so old you also have to be carefull of wear and tear like stuffed cue/play/pause/loop/hotcue buttons

the platters can also get very sticky and tend to grab rather then spin freely after a while, not saying its just 1000's, any older CD player runs this risk

i suggest you try and test/inspect before you buy if you can

thanks for the help guys. Think I'm going to try find some 350's. Any suggestions about a mixer? I was thinking maybe a djm 700, or do you think that a 350 or 400 will be good enough? looking for somethingthat I wont grow out of as I improve n will have like $800 to play with. also I was wondering if I need to get some speakers? ATM I'm using my pretty dated stereo speakers hooked up to my PC.

Thanks !

that sounds like a majjjjjjor scam dude, 2 for $500....doubt it man, be carefull

and as for the mixer, you dont really need a djm700/800 as they are a 4 channel mixer, with 2 CDJ's you only need 2 channels so a DJM350/400 would be cheaper and just as useful to you

i bought ex rental CDJ1000s and they are still going strong. however, as everyone has said they are over priced.. i happened to pay that over priced price and wouldnt recommend it

if u got the money, i would go 850s

but yea as fudd has said, the 350s would be more than enough for a beginner. I wouldnt worry about the platter size either, sure its nice to have a big platter. but after a while of mixing, u'll soon realise that all u really use the plater for is for nudging the tracks (all beatmatching skills) and the ocassional backspin

that deal would be ok, im always very cautious when buying that sort of stuff from people online. if u can afford to shell out the extra $250 storeDJ have them on sale. would mean u get them brand new and u would get warranty with them aswell (unless the online guy gives u his warranty card?) https://www.storedj.com.au/products/PIO-CDJ350

Mattus has it down pat on the platters size, you can learn all the same things on a small platter that u can on a large pkatter

Large platters definitely have s better more solid feel though, my old cdj400's small platters were a very cheaper feel...I've never used 350's platters though

just keep looking round man i got 2x 1000 mk3's and djm800 for $1500 a few years ago before the 900/2000's were out just got them off someone who didn't know how to use them and didnt know what they were worth ;)

there out there just gotta find em!

i got 2 850's for 1300 not long after they were released, and a 2000 for $800 :teef: its all about how long your willing to wait for the right deal, then again when i want something i obsess, literally checking gumtree and ebay and forums every few hours lol

Haha, I know what you mean I was checking gumtree and ebay a fair bit but too impatient to wait out a great deal. Decided to go with the 350s, picked them up this morning :D I got the tax invoice for them both with 2 Pioneer Warranty Statement sheets? But no card? Sheet says soemthing about taking them to a pioneer service centre with receipt to make a claim. They were bought from storedj in june 2011.

Just need to find a mixer now! so eager to get mixing haha. Was thinking of getting some speakers to replace my stereo. Any sugestions for around the $200 mark or lower? Not really sure what I should be looking at. thanks guys!

ur on a tight budget, buy some $100 computer speakers. they give u enough volume to enjoy a mix.. and lets be honest, you don't need crystal clear sharp sounds that u would get from moniters.... u just want volume, and to bang out some awesome mixes

for this reason i say go with computer speakers, and use the left over money to get an awesome mixer and some good headphones :thumright: