headphone cue on both channels

Ok so first admission, i´m only a bedroom dj at this stage. When I'm playing around, I cue both the song playing and the one I want to introduce, in my headphones. I rarely have the luxury of using my speakers because the house is really open, people can hear you sneeze from end of the house to the other :silent:

So my question is, am I cheating by using headphone cue all the time? Is this a function on most mixers? Should I be listening to the song playing "to the crowd" only on the speakers...? i´ve tried it a few times and I must admit I found it much more difficult.

Appreciate any feedback/opinions!

im not sure what you meen dude? your meant to cue in your headphones

just so we are clear, you have track A playing out, and you getting track B ready by Placing the cue at the start of the song or desired place in your headphones...you dont want that going threw your speaker or the crowd (if you were live) would hear a scratchy cueing noise (vinyl Mode) or a stuttering beat (CDJ mode)

Jaz what i think she means is when he is beatmatching track b in her headphones, she also has track a playing in her headphones.

@OP, I do it all the time, especially when your playing somewhere that has no monitors. Much easier to have both tracks in your headphones then try and judge all the feedback from the main speakers when there is no booth monitors

yea from the sounds of it, ur using the headphones to cue and beatmatch track B before you bring it in and fade out Track A. in which case, thats perfectly fine.. in fact thats what your meant to do

u wanna sort out track B and get it all matched up to track A in your headphones, so that when you actually do the mix, it sounds smooth as to the crowd

I use the headphones to fine tune my beatmatching, but as soon as I'm satisfied I usually take one ear off or rely soley on the monitors.

By doing this, I have more control over the levels of the tracks playing. This can be difficult if you don't know your songs well, but 9/10 times it works a treat for me.

So just to clarify, yes I'm listening to both tracks in my headphones.

For example, when I can use the speakers, I would have track A playing through them "to the audience" , also have both tracks playing in my headphones, and then when I´m happy i´ve got track b ready to be introduced, I take my headphones off altogether and make any (hopefully minor) adjustments.

I just had to think to myself, when I was out and recognized what the other dj´s were doing, why don´t I do that? I guess it´s a different ball game playing out and about. Hope I didn´t confuse anyone too much! Thanks for ill the replies :)

So just to clarify, yes I'm listening to both tracks in my headphones.

For example, when I can use the speakers, I would have track A playing through them "to the audience" , also have both tracks playing in my headphones, and then when I´m happy i´ve got track b ready to be introduced, I take my headphones off altogether and make any (hopefully minor) adjustments.

I just had to think to myself, when I was out and recognized what the other dj´s were doing, why don´t I do that? I guess it´s a different ball game playing out and about. Hope I didn´t confuse anyone too much! Thanks for ill the replies :)

Generally you want to train your ears to listen to two things at the same time. It's fine getting your tunes matched in your headphones but you should be monitoring the incoming track to ensure it's not running out of time. That will be a lot harder if the only way you've learned to beatmatch is by playing both tracks in your headphones.

splitting the headphones can also help, eg, playing track in right ear, cueing/mixing in track in left ear, very usefull when using vocals as the master track can often over power the vocals without a beat on the mixing in track

Having the cued track in one ear and the live track in the other helps with beat matching. You train your brain to listen to the beat from both tracks in different ears and you can detect if one beat Is not aligned with the beat of the other track. With both tracks in both ears its more difficult to work out which beat happens first especially if they sound similar. You start to notice it badly when your on a treadmill and the person next to you is running at a slightly different pace!

Funny how everyone uses different methods, i havn't tried splitting them but generally dont have issues with cueing two tracks in the cans.

Out of interest does anyone leave their cans on throughout the mix and switch over the knob from cue to master?

I dismissed this when i started out but playing in clubs and competitions where you have no booth monitor or youre behind the speakers in a little room, i think it can help quite a bit to leave the cans on, although not the best idea on a big system as you wont get an accurate representation of the music being pumped to the audience.

Any club that doesn't have monitors aint worth shit... fact

When I'm mixing I use 1 cup over 1 ear with the cue'd track playing. When I bring it in I have said cup half on my ear so I can mostly hear the monitors. Good to hear a bit of the headphones when the levels are still low on the incoming track.

yeah of course, have rarely found one without but plenty with useless ones.

I generally flick the cans off once ive hit the next track in and happy with the matching, but especially for doing mixtapes i think headphones is better as majority of people will listen to them on headphones or pc speakers anyway.