your shot 2012

Lurk6r

i watched a few of the "your shot" videos ive come to this conclusion

There may be no requirement to be able to dj, but you have to know how to fist pump and pull the Jesus stance all through your set.

IMO- The comp is a good idea as per my diagram

Commercialization of djing = Awareness + New blood to the scene = pressure to stand out = Creative drive

Good stuff now lineup for 4 hours lol

i heard of people lining up for longer than that even.... not keen

im in two minds about it: either get there early and try get a good spot in the que so i dont spend all day lining up, but if everyone does that, then ill get up early and STILL have to wait all day

OR

i could sleep in as normal, get there when i get there and hopefully the line mightve died down a bit. worst case scenario i still wait a shit long time, but atleast i didnt have to wake up early for it

opinions?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We had 3 DJs apply last year, so here's what i got to see. I also went to see our guys perform too.

2 went as a duo and 1 went solo to the interviews, i also know quite a few other people that went to interviews too.

interviews are really quick, like 5 mins or less usually. Not sure what they are looking for but they make a snap decision.

They give you DJ training, which seems to be to a good standard, though for the DJs that didnt know how to DJ before they started they were generally pretty crap on performance day as most didnt have decks at home...

From memory the tickets were $20 a head and the DJs didnt get set times until the day of the competition (i only wanted to see our crew and was irritated that they wouldnt release times). Generally if you sold more tickets then they put you in a later slot. They get graded on "Crowd Response" so obviously you will get more on main stage instead of a side stage and if you are on a later set rather than at 2pm in the afternoon on the sunday.

Funnily enough a House/Electro DJ won the competition last year. Would have been awkward if a Dubstep DJ won it ;)

I say go for it, the worst you get is free lessons meet some people and rock up and play a set.

Just dont get too sucked into the whole "You could the next Tiesto" thing.