Positive Wave Maker Gnash: Billboard Hot 100 Interview No. 5

News

*All photos are original work of Neelu Mohaghegh*

Imagine if…

At Billboard Hot 100 2018 in Long Island, NY, I had the chance to meet up with the kind-hearted and talented artist Gnash. Garrett Charles Nash, otherwise known as the artist Gnash, is an American rapper/singer , who released his debut project U back in March 2015 on SoundCloud. He then followed that with his EP ME in December 2015.

IMG_8550.jpg

His performance was wonderful as he had the crowd smiling with him, singing along to all of his words, and waving their arms to every beat he riffed to. His music is relatable and his lyrics are sweet.  If you love sad boy music with a bright twist, then this is the kind of artist for you. I have always loved his sound. He recently released his new track “dear insecurity” featuring Ben Abraham, a beautiful, melancholy single. His music has a unique twist to it and it almost feels like you’re listening to a combination of Lauv, Blackbear, Never Shout Never, and Quin XCII. Each song is pretty simple musically, but it gets the point across and relays a story melodically. It’s music that’s nice on the ears and the meanings behind each track are memories most people have lived through before, and that’s the power in his work–they’re moving.

At the performance itself, his microphone had a flower attached to it and he was wearing a Pink Floyd rainbow shirt and these amazing sunglasses. When I met him, I was greeted by energy and excitement, and I soon caught onto that same contagious enthusiasm. I took his photos and we followed the interview later on, but believe me when I say it was an absolute pleasure speaking to this very nice singer/songwriter.

Neelu Mohaghegh (NM): First off, how did you get started in music?

Gnash (G): I was a DJ for a while & then started producing & writing my own music to play.

NM: Of all the songs you’ve written, is there one you identify the most with?

G: Of what’s out, definitely “dear insecurity.” It took me 8 months to write & it represents so much growth in my life.

IMG_8574.jpg

NM: Where do a lot of your inspirations for your songs come from? (A lot of them definitely have stories or messages in them!)

G: My songs are all based in things I’ve been through or people I love around me have been through.

NM: What has been the craziest part of this career path?

G: Being away from home. we do our best to make a home on the road, but sometimes I just wanna sleep in & hug my cats.

NM: What do you want your fans to think of when they hear your music?

G: I want them to feel better.

NM: Do you have any pre-show routines (like a mantra, or a food you have to eat, or an outfit, or a pep talk, or listening to music..etc.)?

G: We say “everything’s gonna be fucking great” & go for it.

NM: What’s one piece of your outfit that you can’t go without? (i.e. sweatshirt, hat, certain sneakers, etc.)

G: My sunnies

NM: What would you say is your favorite photo on your instagram?

G: Anything of me smiling

NM: What’s your favorite part of being an artist?

G: Being able to help people through music.

NM: If you could collaborate with anyone, who would it be?

G: John lennon

IMG_8570.jpg

NM: You have a lot of flower imagery in your branding—do you have a favorite flower in particular?

G: I like daisies.

NM: Any advice to aspiring musicians?

G: Be yourself & if you wanna create don’t let anybody tell you it sucks!

NM: What has been your favorite live performance memory?

G: I like every show that helps people feel better. Also I love when my family comes to shows.

NM: How was Billboard Hot 100 fest?

G: It was fun! hot literally but my friends love New York.

NM: Describe your ideal summer day!

G: Driving to the beach. Actually being there I’m iffy on, but the drive is awesome…

IMG_8493.jpg

NM: So the publication is called Verge Campus, so we like to do a little tagline final question to our artists, so Gnash, what are you On The Verge of?…. fill in the blank however you’d like!

G: The best day of my life.

Be sure to check out his new music and follow him on socials to see what’s to come very soon!

Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Website

The post Positive Wave Maker Gnash: Billboard Hot 100 Interview No. 5 appeared first on Verge Campus.

Source