Hozier’s “Nina Cried Power”: A Celebration & Review

News

Hozier releases a new edge. 

Back in 2013, Andrew Hozier Bryne released “Take Me to Church,” an indie debut he wrote in his parents’ attic in Dublin, Ireland. As a struggling musician stuck in his drab hometown, Hozier made use of his voice to create statements that sung something big. Once 2014 came along, “Take Me to Church” struck a chord with listeners around the world. It told a controversial and touching story that had rarely been heard to such an extent in music. As the song swept the world, Hozier rose to fame, certifying his tune five-time platinum in the US and eventually playing it at the Grammy’s.

The impact of “Take Me to Church” was undeniable. It spoke with a woeful cry of protest that was preached to, shared, and understood by so many. Hozier made a name for himself — called on for his way of placing himself so intimately amongst chaos, in order to unfold the atrocity in front of the whole world. And it’s so evident in his new EP and title track “Nina Cried Power.”

In all its verve, “Nina Cried Power” was inspired by legacies. Nina Simone, Joni Mitchell, Billie Holiday — artists who told stories of protests, using their qualified and ample voices in hopes of any kind of response or call to action. Hozier’s voice is loud and pervasive, most of the song consists of him belting the names of those who stand for change in a way that sounds like a thank you. His raw tone and rock n roll vibe capture your senses, it’s like you can see his shaggy hair shaking with every headbang. His partner in the act is none other than powerhouse and activist Mavis Staples. After many failed attempts to meet up and collaborate with Staples, Hozier decided this was the track that needed her most.

“Even when the song was in its embryonic state and the idea was forming, I wanted to credit the legacy of artists in that song and the names were kind of popping into my head, and I knew it was Mavis.”

Mavis’s rich blues style and authentic storytelling complement Hozier’s character in the song, and she is no stranger to this effect. Her guest vocals on Arcade Fire’s “I Give You Power” struck a chord in a timely manner (after Donald Trump’s inauguration in 2017), with proceeds donated to the American Civil Liberties Union.

So why are the two artists singing of protest right now? Apparently, there’s no reason. Hozier and Staples are simply taking a front seat at the bonfire this world often experiences, and creating a boundary with those legendary voices who have been there and struggled before us. Hozier is creating a space of “optimism and hope and solidarity.”

And how does this song compare with the rest of the EP? Wonderfully. “NFWMB” (Nothing Fucks With My Baby) explores a nihilistic tone in a tender love song for the end of the world. “Moment’s Silence” draws a sharp line between a religious conservative’s view on sex and the artist’s enjoyment of physical pleasures that don’t quite coincide. His tone here is similar to that of his last album “From Eden”: mellow, slow, instrumental.

At this point, it’s safe to say Hozier is on his way to becoming the voice for those that aren’t heard loud enough. While “Nina Cried Power” is about celebrating songful protest and those artists who make such resounding impacts, Hozier uses the music video as an opportunity to thank Irish activists who deserve all the spotlight.

The post Hozier’s “Nina Cried Power”: A Celebration & Review appeared first on Verge Campus.

Source