Rilo Kiley, Throwback Band Playlist: Listen

News

Nothing is better than discovering a new artist… Except realizing that they’re not new. Rilo Kiley is perfect to freshen up your coffee shop playlist.

Maybe this Rilo Kiley song, “A Better Son/Daughter,” is familiar to you. Maybe it’s not. Either way, it has the quality of a film score, giving you that familiar warm feeling–you know, like when you hear “Chasing Cars” or “Yellow.”

The thing is, if you haven’t listened to them, it still comes with the excitement of discovering new music. The band has a quirky alt-pop feel that’s reminiscent of so much of the indie music being produced more recently, but with a nostalgic 2,000’s flair. Inspired by the Seattle music scene, their music has roots.

810-bTEj0rL.jpg

Rilo Kiley has not released an album since “rkives” in 2013, where the band experimented with some new sounds.  I’ve compiled a short playlist of my favorite songs from what I consider their most representative work:

1. A Better Son/Daughter (linked above): This song was the spark that started the flame. I heard this song in the credits for a show, and I was listening to the track on repeat for days.
  2. The Execution of All Things:  The title track of their arguably best album.
  3. It’s a Hit: is literally a hit.
  4. Let Me Back InThis 2013 single soothes like no other. If you like a good guitar part, this is your song.

These songs work well on any nostalgic playlist, as a pick-me-up on a bad day (they have a “you’re-not-alone” feel), or as study/café tracks!

If you like Rilo Kiley, you’ll also love: Regina Spektor, The Postal Service, Bright Eyes, Jenny Lewis.

The post Rilo Kiley, Throwback Band Playlist: Listen appeared first on Verge Campus.

Source