The best and worst dance music movies of all time

News

This one’s been a long time coming, with the plethora of amazingly shot and produced dance music based films it seems only necessary that we compile a short list of the ones you have to watch either because they’re disgustingly bad, or like slightly better than terrible.

This is a short list because we’re not about to force you into watching many of these, heck you don’t have to watch any of them to be honest. Just read the bloody list.

The Good:

It’s All Gone Pete Tong (2004)

Probably our favourite of the lot, ‘It’s All Gone Pete Tong’ is a bit of a dark comedy about a DJ at the top of their game who loses his hearing and as such struggles to exist as a professional DJ. It’s widely regarded as one of the better dance music movies. This has a couple of laughs and a bit of sadness, but is ultimately a bit of a fun one that lets you laugh at the exaggerated DJ culture of the time.

Berlin Calling (2008)

Berlin Calling follows a DJ who has a mental breakdown at the peak of his career. It’s another dark comedy, but does well to highlight the scene at the time which is pretty neat! It gets a bit intense at times, but is definitely worth a watch!

The Bad:

XOXO (2017)

I’m not going to lie to you all, I’ve personally watched this all the way through. I couldn’t tell you why I did that, but I can tell you that it sucks. Following a young fezzie girl and a young producer who are fated to meet at this huge festival XOXO. It’s full of corny cliche and low-key ruins a somewhat cool raver/festival movement that had been happening around the time. I don’t suggest anyone to ever watch this.

Kevin And Perry Go Large (2000)

Alright, let’s be real this one isn’t good because it’s good, it’s good because it’s so bad you can’t help but love it. It follows some ’15 year old’ sex crazed kids who go to Ibiza to try and get laid and progress their music careers. Known for the classic line “YOU ARE NOT MY MATE AND YOU ARE NOT MY FELLOW DEE-JAY” a real climactic part of the movie that become a meme. Probably worth a check just so you can get the context of that iconic line.

The Somewhere In-Between:

We Are Your Friends (2015)

This one is not as bad as it sounds. It’s about a (you guessed) young producer and DJ trying to make it in the music industry against the odds. Yes it stars Zac Effron, and yes it’s a little corny, but it’s not about 15 year olds so that’s a win in my book. There’s a bit of adult drama in it and a bit of somewhat relatable DJ life which is why it slides into the ‘Somewhere In-Between’ category.

Ibiza (2018)

This one’s another one of those, ‘not as bad as it seems’ ones. So take it with a grain of salt, have a bit of a laugh, realise that it’s just Hollywood being dumb. It follows some girls trying to seek out a hot DJ in Spain and well it’s a bit of dumb fun and nothing more.

So there are some movies if you’re feeling bored and like a laugh on a Friday night

Source