Blumhouse will “100 percent” make more Halloween movies

News

In news that should surprise virtually nobody, Blumhouse has confirmed that there will be more Halloween for everyone. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Jason Blum expressed his trademark enthusiasm for the future of the franchise.

“Yeah, for sure, for sure, 100 percent,” Blumhouse insisted. “Let me tell you, if we got six movies out of [Paranormal Activity] — they found new footage five times in a row! — I feel like we can figure out the next chapter. But we’ll see.

“I think the same creative muscle that you use to [sequelize] IP that already exists is exactly the same muscle that you exercise for sequels [of our own films],” he continued. “So Purge 234Insidious 234Ouija 2Paranormal 23456 —  anything that’s after 1 is the exact same thing.

“So we’ve done a lot of movies from existing IP, it just happens to be our own existing IP, so it felt very familiar. It felt like making one of our sequels, which is always the same conundrum, which is how do you make it feel original enough that people feel like it’s worth seeing, but not too original that it’s not connected to the previous chapters?”

Listen and subscribe via iTunes | Google Play | Stitcher | Podchaser | RSS

Again, this isn’t surprising. As Blum essentially confesses here, he’s in the business of making money from horror, and he’s done a damn good job at it, so it was only natural that they would continue mining more from Michael Myers.

What’s more, Danny McBride, who co-wrote the forthcoming Halloween with director David Gordon Green, has already hinted that they’ve played around with the idea of more sequels.

“David and I definitely had some ideas at the beginning of this of what we would do if there was an appetite for it,” he recently told Comic Book Movie. “We have some ideas, so now we’re just sort of exploring them to see if they have enough legs to kind of warrant it. I know that Jason Blum, I bet you he’d be stoked to make some more. (But) I think he’s been on the same mindset we’ve been of, ‘Let’s just wait and see what people think.'”

Seeing how the new film is already tracking to be the biggest hit of the franchise, there’s no way this sucker doesn’t get two or three more chapters down the line. The problem is the setup of this current installment.

Listen and subscribe via iTunes | Stitcher | Google Play | RSS 

For starters, Michael Myers is already in his sixties, and even worse, he’s been locked up since the ’70s. In other words, they can’t prequelize this one, and they’ll have to go down the same rabbit hole involving the Strodes.

Further complicating matters is that Myers is supposed to be more human in this chapter, which essentially nullifies the idea of making him this unstoppable movie monster as he was in the past films.

So, where they go from here will be one tricky pumpkin to carve. In the meantime, stay tuned to Halloweenies, our monthly Michael Myers podcast, as they weigh in on these developments as they’re sure to come.

Halloween hits theaters on October 19th.

Source