DAW Sample Rates

SweetIshDub

So I have always produced at a sample rate of 44,100 hz because a lot of articles I read said it was plenty fast for audio quality and is conservative for cpu usage. Just for fun I upped one of my projects to 96,000 hz and it made a considerable difference in my gnarlier synths making them sound a lot clearer in the high end while taking away from the lows.

I am guessing it is because the wavelengths were essentially doubled in length by the lower sample rate but it is really tripping me out. Does anyone have any input into this? Have I been a huge scrub this whole time using a lower sample rate?

44100 is CD quality. any thing you buy or listen to is 44100 generally ie anything on beatport. i don't know a hell of a lot on this apart from sending a release to distro for beatport etc has to be 16 bit 44100. if your looking to improve quality it may come down to dither? or some shit,

the reason people tend to use 44.1 is because that's what sample rate tracks will be mastered to for release on CD or as an mp3 downloadable file.

anything you do above that in the recording process will be lost anyway really.

not an expert but i think that's the case.

I have been looking into this since going digital on my djm800...

The outcome I have come to is 88.2khz is best as high quality - but more importantly, it's going to be exactly halved when compressed to 44.1 - as opposed to say 96khz which won't be an 'as exact' compression....

I'm a major amateur though - please advise if I'm way off the mark