When to mix your music?

Narukami

Hey guys, what's going on?

Been doing some production work lately and I've been reading up on articles and books on how to make music (been making music for years, just finally decided to get more into it reading stuff to improve myself). Just a question: When do you guys mix your songs?

I googled this for a while but didn't find any answers that pleased me. Do you guys make the whole track and mix it after or do you mix it as you go. I'm asking this because I had a client who told me to export each stems for a track as he's gonna send it to a mixing engineer (this was a while ago) but I already placed compressors, eqs, etc on each synth and drum, something I normally do. I'm working on a track right now and thinking whether I should turn off each plugins, export each stem (as WAV), import it back to FL and mix it from there.

Thx 4 any halp guize :-)

if you've got applied effects to an individual channel it will be fine as long as their is some headroom for a mastering engineer to work with. Around -5dB or -6dB will be fine.

As long as you haven't went over the top with compression and what not then it should be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

If your sending it to a mixing engineer then you'll probably want to take effects off which aren't part of the sound itself. eg. you put a distortion plugin on a bass sound and then a compressor to give it a warmer tone, those sort of plugins you'll want to leave on however say you have a pad sound and you put a reverb on it to sit it in the back of the mix (a mixing decision) take those off and tell the engineer that's how you originally had it/liked it.

Though if your sending to a mastering engineer (different to a mixing engineer) you will want to leave every plugin as it is while making sure nothing is going over -0dBFS (every channel not just the master).

In regards to your question I mix my music as I go then when I think its finished I'll run it through a mastering type limiter and reference the mix on different monitors and speakers and make adjustments according to how it sounds.

Hope that helps,

Drew.