Putting together the shopping list.

dbldrp

Hello again lads,

I've done a little research, mostly in the beginners area of the forum, and have come up with a small shopping list to get started with DJing.

I'll stick strictly to MP3 usage, through SD or USB storage, as I haven't bought a CD for at least 5 years.

As far as brands go, Pioneer looks to be really popular on ebay and through the classifieds on the forum, so that's all I've looked at so far.

Pioneer CDJ1000-MK3 x 2

DJM-900NXS OR the DJM-850. Anyone used either of these and can comment on the differences?

I've got a Mac and all I need now is the software, presumably. Traktor, Serato or Rekordbox. Does pioneer render any of these three useless or are they all as capable as each other?

I don't know what they're called, but the box with all the preprogrammed white buttons. Will I need one?

M

Hey mate. 1000's are atill bulletproof players, however they're a bit out-dated now. If you're planning to use traktor or serato then the 1000's will be perfect for playing with time code. Bare in mind you won't be as to use them with rekordbox or as hdmi (if you'd planned on doing so)

The pioneer mixers (IMO) are terrible. If you are planning to swing down that road I'd suggest an 800 or 700. They should be a bit cheaper now and still have the same functions as the rest (give or take the digital capabilities).

As for your question in regards to the software, rekordbox is just a software for pioneer products that render your files to load up with the cdjs quickly. I don't think you can use it in the way of traktor or serato. Speaking of which, traktor I feel is more of a performance tool with the use of remix decks and the vast array of controllers it has. Serato is good for mixing and what not. Either way, they do the basic functions of mixing the same. Serato is a little more expensive.

I'm not sure what this box is but if you're going to use time code cd's I wouldn't really suggest getting a controller unless you're using traktor and you're planning on triggering loops or cues