Old timer needs help

Chenko

Trying to get my head around a few very noob digital questions.

Have only been using demo versions of various softwares and have narrowed down to 2. Virtual DJ and Traktor Pro.

I would like to mix from my existing external mixer and won't be going for timecode vinyls straight away

I want to record the mixes as well

How many inputs/outputs on a soundcard will i need to set up my Nuo to mix through the software whilst also recording what I am doing? Will a 4/4 suffice such as the Audio 4 or do I need more like the 8?

Down the track if I want to use control vinyls will this make a 4/4 card redundant?

Finally, is it better to just get a midi mixer, a cheaper soundcard for output to speakers only and will this enable me to mix and record inside the box as well?

Appreciate the patience but this digital stuff is relatively new to me

Well I would say Traktor Pro EVERY TIME.

It depends on if your serious or not. If you are, Traktor. Traktor is used in clubs and is a recognised platform by some of the best DJs in the world. VDJ is not.

Virtual DJ is cheaper though.

If down the track, you want to use timecode, get Traktor.

You only need one input/output, strictly speaking.

But its worth just buying traktor and getting the soundcard that comes with it.

Then get a Mixer that can handle MIDI, and when you want to use timecode, just connect up your decks

Well I would say Traktor Pro EVERY TIME.

It depends on if your serious or not. If you are, Traktor. Traktor is used in clubs and is a recognised platform by some of the best DJs in the world. VDJ is not.

Virtual DJ is cheaper though.

If down the track, you want to use timecode, get Traktor.

You only need one input/output, strictly speaking.

But its worth just buying traktor and getting the soundcard that comes with it.

Then get a Mixer that can handle MIDI, and when you want to use timecode, just connect up your decks

Didn't VDJ just win an award for best software though over both Traktor and serato?

Price is an issue as well

I want to keep using my Ecler Nuo 2 mixer rather then having to buy a midi mixer so is this possible with Traktor Pro and getting the Audio 4 or 3v3n 2 instead of 8?

keeping in mind I want to record my mixes

Cheers

Well I've never heard of a Pro using virtual DJ, put it that way.

You don need midi to operate traktor. Just the sound card, they run through the soundcard, into the mixer and back out again....

but without timcode...you'd need a midi controller as well, like a trigger finger

Well I've never heard of a Pro using virtual DJ, put it that way.

You don need midi to operate traktor. Just the sound card, they run through the soundcard, into the mixer and back out again....

but without timcode...you'd need a midi controller as well, like a trigger finger

Coldcut and Dennis Ferrer for example are listed as VDJ users but I think software is a matter of preference as well as functionality

My questions are more about what I might need to get things up and running as I am having trouble grasping the hardware requirements

Without timecode could I not just use my computer mouse instead of getting a midi controller?

So apologies for my confusion but for this functionality:

Traktor Pro or VDJ

External mixer

Recording mixes (will the mixer not need to be rerouted to the the computer through the record out?)

No timecode

What is the minimum soundcard I would get away with? I don't see how a 1/1 could possibly suffice?

thanks again man

1 in 1 out won't suffice as you have no channel to cue on.

at a minimum you need 2 out (you don't need any in unless you want to use timecode or sned the output back to the computer to record).

since you are using an external mixer, you can cue there and just sent 2 output channels to the mixer.

you can also mix "in the box" with the software mixer, and then you get the master out on one channel and a cue on another channel, so you still need 2 olutwards channels.

If you want to later mix 3+ channels on an external mixer a larger soundcard is needed, again unless you use the software mixer.

also, if you might want to use time code one day it's probably worth getting the audio 8 - traktor needs it's own soundcard or certified mixer (basically built in version of their soundcard). If you only plan to mix via midi, then any soundcard with enough channels is ok. the audio 8 is a pretty good soundcard, and cheaper to buy with the software bundle than to buy software and soundcard seperately. Audio 4 is the same thign with 2 in and 2 out, or you could go for the audio 2, much cheaper and just 2 outs, so cannot handle timecode.

1 in 1 out won't suffice as you have no channel to cue on.

at a minimum you need 2 out (you don't need any in unless you want to use timecode or sned the output back to the computer to record).

since you are using an external mixer, you can cue there and just sent 2 output channels to the mixer.

you can also mix "in the box" with the software mixer, and then you get the master out on one channel and a cue on another channel, so you still need 2 olutwards channels.

If you want to later mix 3+ channels on an external mixer a larger soundcard is needed, again unless you use the software mixer.

also, if you might want to use time code one day it's probably worth getting the audio 8 - traktor needs it's own soundcard or certified mixer (basically built in version of their soundcard). If you only plan to mix via midi, then any soundcard with enough channels is ok. the audio 8 is a pretty good soundcard, and cheaper to buy with the software bundle than to buy software and soundcard seperately. Audio 4 is the same thign with 2 in and 2 out, or you could go for the audio 2, much cheaper and just 2 outs, so cannot handle timecode.

Thanks Tubby. I think I am finally getting it.

Using my external mixer I need 2 outs minimum, and as I want to record from the mixer I will need 2 ins as well to run the mixer back into the computer. This I assuime will enable me to record using the internal record feature of the software.

remember by 2 outs I mean 4 cables (2 left/right or red/white plugs pairs), so to record you need 2 out and 1 in (or 4 out 2 in), make sure clarify just whether they are counting cables or stereo pairs.

The simpler you expain it the better for me so thanks for the clarification :D